THE JAMBOREE

The next few hours passed in haste as Anikaa pampered and prepared herself for the evening. While Rachel wore a formal Max Mara red dress, Anikaa chose a white Dolce & Gabbana sheer ruched tulle figure-hugging midi dress on Ralph& Russo Pink Eden heel pumps. She kept her makeup to the minimum, applied her signature velvet red lip shade and tied her hair in a loose French twist bun. At exactly nine o'clock, Anikaa's car made the grand entrance through the midst of bustling swarm of reporters and flashlights into the gigantic gates of Taj Lands End.

"Mam, its Mumbai. Shouldn't we be fashionably late here?" asked Rachel as the car stopped.

"Being late is fashion, on time is style," winked Anikaa and stepped out of the car.

For few seconds, Anikaa could make out nothing but popping of lights one after the other.

As Ria committed, the reprinted invites were sent to the guests and the news of auctioning of Anikaa's painting had spread like a wildfire. The gamut of the event was now not exclusive to Ria's firm's- 'VELASCO ANNUAL CHARITY RAISER' but had transcended to a ritzy affair as cricketers, film stars, businessmen, industrialists and leading media honchos made their way to the seaside lawns of Taj Lands End.

As Anikaa made her way towards the entrance, she was jubilantly received by Ria and president of her bank- Mr. Peroz Batliwala.

"Good evening mam. It's an immense pleasure having you here. I am Peroz Batliwala, President of Velasco Investments," said Peroz courteously.

Mr. Batliwala was a middle-aged man with towering height and conspicuous pot belly. Dressed elegantly in a two-piece grey suit, he welcomed Anikaa and Rachel delightfully.

"Mr. Batliwala, thank you," said Anikaa taking the bouquet and handing it over to Rachel.

"It's an honour to meet you in person. I am a big fan of your paintings," said Mr. Batliwala untruthfully. The slight stagger in his speech was not missed by Anikaa but she ignored it as she pleasantly replied- "The feeling is mutual; your recent article on 'Demystifying brands from consumer point of view' was commendable."

Mr. Batliwala was instantly impressed, while Ria was awestruck. Not even in her wildest dreams, she ever considered that Anikaa would read an exclusive article from Harvard Review that doesn't concern her line of business. Nishant would never do that and never does that. He hardly knows about her job in the office.

"Please Miss Mehra, this way," said Mr. Batliwala politely leading the way.

"Call me Anikaa and this is Rachel, my secretary."

"Ah! Now I know who to call," said Mr. Batliwala shaking Rachel's hands.

Mr. Batliwala immensely enjoyed the short walk till the venue with Anikaa. He was a man of numbers, a proud product of economics whose family mostly comprised of engineers, actuaries and risk analysts. Art and artists of any type did not qualify with him as he considered the subject as waste of time but today he was inclined to change his opinion as Anikaa's poise and cognizance fascinated him very much. It was one thing to quote his article and another to cite words from his favourite book- Wings of Fire. He wanted to talk more to her and was all prepared to become the official guide of Anikaa for the evening when his phone rang.

"Bah," he said as he picked up his phone. "Yes. Who? Oh yes, I recognise him. Alright, I will be there."

With a heavy sigh, he disconnected the call and then releasing a soft noise of disapproval he poured out round of apologies to Anikaa. It was imperative for him to receive the guests and so leaving Ria in charge of guiding Anikaa to the venue, he left.