THE PATTERN

"The great palace of Meru disappeared that day," said Honark glumly, "...relinquishing its occupants with nothing but a vacant space and memories of a happy, contented, perfect peaceful life."

A globe materialised in front of them showing the single continent of Meru breaking into seven different pieces.

Anikaa became quiet at hearing this. Her eyes inadvertently fell on the double-walled, transparent, U-shaped contraption placed on the distance which Honark was examining when they entered. A strange contraption it was with its outer wall filled with water and inner wall filled with sand that reached one-fourth the level of water. Was it her imagination or did she just noticed a wave in the water?

"But how is it possible?" she asked after a brief silence, her eyes still on the contraption. "Horus...he was holding the crown. He took it."

"No he couldn't. As per the curse, the crown went back to Shangri-la."

"Shangri-la? Aren't we talking about Meru?" asked Anikaa.

"Of course we are." Honark's smile was so enigmatic that Anikaa's golden- cyan eyes narrowed, making her more ethereal. And then it clicked.

"Are you saying the legendary Shangri-la is nothing but Meru?"

Honark was not giving it away. A thin curve was on the end of his lips but he remained quiet. A place where nobody gets sick, the centre of the earth ruled by one man under whose regime happiness and peace triumphed- Meru aka Shangri-la?

Anikaa opened her mouth to question again but the last words of Queen Danika rang in her ears- 'Our powers and secrets will lie sealed with the crown of Shangri-la, in Shangri-la'. Shangri-la, Meru- are they the same? Danika's face swam in front of Anikaa- how those child-like, hazel-coloured eyes that always reflected yearning and love for everyone flared up when she cursed Horus; how the palace shook when she slashed her wrist.

"I never knew Danika was so powerful," she mused loud enough for everyone to hear. She expected Eshin and Bolin to pass comments but they seemed to agree with her for once.

"Neither did she," said Honark calmly. "There is a common saying in these parts- 'Never harass an honest man.' Why? Because, a man with an honest and pure heart is very difficult to find, not just in today's world but even at that time. Danika was precious- the one who never cheated, never disrespected, and never disliked anyone. Her power was her clear conscience and kind, pure heart with which she loved everyone with full devotion. Yes, she longed for her sister's abilities and talents but not even for once she had a single foul thought about them. No. She loved them; she loved Meru, her father, her people and Horus. And her unconditional love and sincere devotion...made her wrath invincible."

Anikaa contemplated Honark's words and then asked- "So what happened to Horus?

Nobody knows. Some say that he died beneath the weight of the marbles of Shangri-la, some say he turned into smoke; some say he was buried deep inside the earth to suffer the unspeakable," said Honark with feeling. "But...it's all a wild guess."

As Anikaa's mind deliberated upon the fate of Horus, her eyes wandered off to the inky-coloured lake in front of her. Wasn't that milky blue when she arrived? She thought but before she could ponder on it, she gasped. The six men who were sitting surrounding the lake were now glowing in soft whitish-blue light. It was mesmerising as well as eerie but a calming sight; a sight that Anikaa had never seen before. Anikaa had an inkling of what it was but she felt more confident when Honark confirmed it.