68. Sister

---

Naruto briefly explains the situation to his two teammates, avoiding too much detail about Karin's past of being tortured in the Village.

He considers it a personal matter and only mentions that Karin has had a tough time.

Sasuke picks up on the key points: "So, Karin is your sister?"

"She's your sister too," Naruto replies.

"What does that have to do with me?" Sasuke initially brushes it off but then remembers his Sensei with fiery red hair.

Sakura asks, "So, are you planning to stand up for your sister?"

"She will become your sister in the future, too," Naruto says, trying to form a connection.

"Huh?" Sakura is momentarily confused.

Naruto chuckles and adds, "When you change your last name to Uchiha in the future..."

"Ah..." Sakura's cheeks turn pink as she glances shyly at Sasuke. "Naruto, how can you say something like that?"

[Inner Sakura: If only you could talk like this more often!]

Sasuke is bewildered. Why would Sakura change her last name to Uchiha? Could there be some connection between her family and the Uchiha clan?

He thinks of Uchiha Izumi, a woman he doesn't particularly like. Although she originally had a civilian surname, her mother was a Uchiha, and she later changed her surname back to Uchiha after awakening her Sharingan.

Sasuke has always been cautious around her, not because he could tell she had intentions toward his brother.

'Could it be—she wants my brother to teach her how to train?'

'Absolutely not My brother already has so little time to train with me; I can't let her take even more of it away!'

Ignoring Sasuke's paranoid thoughts, Naruto summarizes that 20 groups have advanced to the second round, and after excluding his group and the three groups he has already dealt with, there are 16 groups left.

Naruto creates 16 shadow clones, waves his hand, and says, "Each clone will confirm a group, open a small map, and search the area thoroughly!"

"Yes, sir!"

The 16 clones scatter and quickly leave Naruto's sight.

One of the clones pins the number 001 card to its chest, another transforms into Naruko, and a third clone's cheerful expression turns into a blank stare.

Naruto says, "Let's keep moving toward the tower. If the clones don't find anything, they can also block the entrance."

Sasuke and Sakura have nothing to say; helping their sister is now their duty.

The Kagura Mind ability used by the clones might be slightly weaker than the main body's, but it is sufficient, and the Forest of Death isn't particularly large.

Since the exam has just started, the groups entering from different entrances are still relatively spread out.

Soon, the shadow clones locate each group and rush toward them.

Thirteen of the clones are unlucky and don't encounter any Grass Ninjas. They are initially disappointed because they've lost their chance to take action and rack up appearances. But then they cheerfully choose a method of self-destruction.

The unfortunate candidates witness little yellow-haired clones happily running into their line of sight and then, in front of their eyes, either committing suicide with a kunai, using Rasengan on themselves, smashing into a tree, or even grabbing a venomous snake to get bitten.

These 13 groups discuss the strange behaviour of the suicidal yellow-haired clone:

"That was a shadow clone, right?"

"Yeah, why did it show up just to kill itself in front of us?"

"You're stupid! The shadow clone is a reconnaissance jutsu. If it destroys itself after seeing us, it sends the information back to the original. That means our location and movements have been exposed."

Many teams quickly move and change their routes to avoid ambushes by the yellow-haired team.

Of course, some are confident enough not to care, like Gaara's team or the Sound Village's Dosu Kinuta's team.

They aren't afraid of being tracked and continue on their original paths.

Even the Konoha team assumes Naruto's shadow clone is just there to gather intel.

Tenten complains, "What's that guy thinking? Can't he just dispel the clone properly? Why does he have to stick his head into a lion's den? It's creepy!"

The Ino-Shika-Cho team also encounters a shadow clone, and Shikamaru calmly says, "Naruto probably won't bother us, so let's keep our ambush position. Finding another good spot is too troublesome."

Choji munches on his snacks and nods, "Yeah, Naruto gave me some precious snacks earlier, so he definitely won't come to steal our scrolls. How about we trade a scroll for some snacks with him?"

Ino facepalms in despair, unable to handle these two lazy and food-obsessed teammates.

However, clone 001 and an unnamed clone get lucky, and each finds a team of Grass Ninjas.

Clone 001 cheerfully blocks their path, wielding a makeshift Xuanhua Axe made of branches, and shouts:

"I own this road, and I planted these trees. If you want to pass, pay the toll!"

Meanwhile, the unnamed clone simply but confidently declares:

"You're surrounded by me."

The luckiest—and unluckiest—clone is Naruko because she encounters Hinata's team.

Naruko is initially thrilled. What luck to run into Hinata! Surely, the main body will reward him with a bunch of appearances for this!

But when Naruko jumps out to greet them, he notices something is off. Hinata takes two steps back, looking shocked and lost.

Kiba's jaw drops, and he points at Naruko like he's seen a ghost: "You—you…"

Akamaru barks in confusion.

The scent is right, but the appearance is... strange.
Shino adjusts his sunglasses, the lens reflecting a calculating light.

Naruko is baffled. Is something wrong with me? He strokes his blonde ponytails, then freezes as he realizes he can't see his toes...

Crap.

I'm done for! Did I turn into a woman?!

"Uh... Let the main body explain this to you later."

Seeing Hinata's wide-eyed shock, Naruko manages a bitter smile. He's probably about to lose his appearance count!

Naruko quickly dispels himself.

'Note to self: What do I do if my girlfriend discovers my hobby of cross-dressing? Asking for advice online, urgently!'

That's Naruko's last thought.

"Hahahahaha..."

Naruto bursts out laughing while walking with his two teammates, leaving Sasuke and Sakura staring at him in confusion.

What on earth is he up to?

After all this time training together, how could he not recognize Hinata's chakra? And what's with cross-dressing to advance the mission?!

---

Read Advanced chapters ahead on P@treon.

https://www.p@treon.com/Iamxeno

Thank you for reading.