63. Nothing

New fanfiction is uploaded! I will be grateful if can read it & give me your thoughts about it

---

After the meal, Naruto holds Hinata's small hand, leading her on a walk to help with digestion.

While Hinata's cooking is delicious, Naruto is perplexed, wondering if she has eaten enough.

He recalls an episode from the anime where Hinata consumes over 40 bowls of ramen during a Big Eater competition—not because she can't eat more, but because the time runs out.

Naruto can't help but wonder how much she can truly eat in reality, though he finds it hard to ask.

He makes a mental note to visit a snack street with her when they have the time so he can observe her appetite more discreetly.

After a while, their friends start returning, and it's nearly two o'clock.

Kiba, the most impatient among them, shouts for everyone to submit their applications.

Naruto, still holding Hinata's hand, is reluctant to let go. "What's the rush? Even if we go early, we won't get extra points. Besides, we might encounter some clueless candidates."

"Isn't that even better? Let them see how strong we are, right, Akamaru?" Kiba retorts.

"Woof!" Akamaru barks in agreement, wagging his tail.

Sasuke is also eager to move. After training intensely for so long, he's itching to show off.

"Fine, let's go early," Naruto finally agrees, curious about what kind of opponents they'll face.

He's particularly interested in seeing the current state of the boy who, like him, lost his parents at a young age.

The six of them, along with Akamaru, set off for the academy. Naruto finally lets go of Hinata's hand.

Naruto doesn't mind holding her hand, but Hinata feels embarrassed, her face almost buried in her chest.

Naruto casts a kind glance at Sakura, who is walking ahead of him.

He sighs, wondering why they are so different at the age of 12.

Naruto lowers his gaze sympathetically.

Sakura gets annoyed and feels compelled to punch Naruto.

She shakes her head and condemns herself internally, thinking, 'Naruto is an excellent teammate. Why do I have these thoughts?'

****

When they reach the second level, they spot a classroom labelled 301, with a crowd gathered at the door, disputing with two chunin guards.

As they arrive, they witness one of the chunin knock down Rock Lee.

Sakura frowns, realizing that the floor is covered with a genjutsu barrier.

When Sasuke notices Lee's appearance, he thinks of the weird members of the Uchiha clan.

He becomes enraged and uses his Sharingan, which quickly reveals the illusion.

Kiba's nose twitches and Shino examines an insect on his index finger while everyone demonstrates their skills. However, Naruto is listening to Tenten.

Tenten is helping Lee with his plan to feign weakness, pleading with the two chunin to let them pass.

Her elder brother looks on coldly, seemingly too embarrassed to play along with his comedic teammate.

The two chunin sneer, proclaiming that the weaklings present are undeserving of sitting for the chunin exams.

Naruto recognizes the voice—it sounds like Kotetsu Hagane, one of Konoha's infamous pranksters. Have they used the Transformation Jutsu to disguise themselves?

Leave it to those two to ditch guarding the village gate to oversee the exam entrance.

Kiba can't take it anymore and, with Akamaru's support, speaks up. "Hey, how long are you going to keep up this farce?"

Kotetsu feigns ignorance. "Huh? What are you talking about?"

Sasuke, always eager for attention, walks over with his hands in his pockets. "Hmph, a mere illusion like this can't fool these eyes. Stop embarrassing yourselves!"

As he speaks, he deliberately flashes his double-tomoe Sharingan.

Sakura exclaims, "Amazing, as expected of Sasuke!"

It's worth mentioning that the way she pronounces this line in the anime is quite amusing.

Kotetsu and Izumo sigh as they remove the genjutsu. It was only intended to prevent inferior candidates from continuing.

The onlookers murmur in admiration. "So this is the Uchiha clan? Impressive."

Even Tenten can't help but comment, "This year's newcomers are quite impressive."

Neji, however, is not pleased. The Hyuga clan has a saying, "The Hyuga clan is the strongest."

Even Hinata's father, Hiashi Hyuga, often declares this after defeating an opponent, a habit that makes people want to roll their eyes.

Neji has been raised with this mindset, so he isn't thrilled about the Uchiha clan, though he doesn't provoke them.

With his usual good manners, he greets Hinata politely, "Lady Hinata."

"Brother Neji," Hinata replies naturally, indicating they have a good relationship.

Tenten, looking Hinata up and down, teases, "So this is the little sister Neji always talks about? He always praises you, especially since you graduated, saying you're improving rapidly!"

"Ah, thank you, thank you," Hinata stammers, not quite sure how to handle such familiarity.

"Tenten, don't say too much," Neji scolds her gently.

"Hee hee," Tenten giggles, sticking her tongue out at Neji.

It is a heartwarming scene, almost like a husband and wife in perfect harmony.

Naruto can't help but think he has discovered something—a cold protagonist & cheerful female lead.

Rock Lee then approaches Sasuke. "You must be Sasuke Uchiha. Hello, I've heard a lot about you from the three upperclassmen. They say you're a genius, and I'm looking forward to a match."

Sasuke grits his teeth at the mention of those three eccentrics. "Well, thanks to them, I'll show you the true power of the Uchiha."

Sasuke doesn't underestimate Lee despite his earlier dishevelled appearance. He knows that these green-clad ninjas are formidable opponents.

To take them lightly would be a grave mistake.

While they chat, Kiba is fuming. 'I was supposed to be first! I was the one who stood up and exposed them, but why did Sasuke steal the spotlight? Shouldn't someone ask me how I saw through that illusion?'

"It's the smell," Shino's voice suddenly whispers in Kiba's ear.

Kiba jumps in surprise. "When did you get here?"

Shino ignores Kiba's question and continues his speculation. "We didn't arrive too early. If this were the real exam room, there should already be candidates inside. You and Akamaru can smell the human scent, whether it's sweat or something else."

Shino adjusts his sunglasses and adds, "If you want to ask me how I know..."

"Because you know my sense of smell. You're so annoying," Kiba interrupts Shino's long-winded explanation.

He turns to the others and calls out, "Hey, it's time to go upstairs and submit our applications!"

The group begins to ascend the stairs. Shino, momentarily forgotten, adjusts his sunglasses again, and a mysterious gleam reflects off the lenses.

---

Read advanced chapters ahead on P@treon.

p@treon/Iamxeno

Vote if you like the chapter.

Thank you for reading.