Chapter 17 ✔

I cried.

I finally cried after years of holding it in and acting tough, the tough girl cried.

If my pack were to see this they'd call me weak, even my friends would think so but wouldn't tell me.

Growing up in an Alpha family you are expected to act presentable. If you cry in front of another, act rude or snobby your family will be looked down upon. That's why Alpha families only have one child, it's easier to control one than a dozen.

Xavier was the better half of my family.

Everyone looked up to him, hoped that he'd become Alpha and I become nonexistent. It hurt. It really did and so I had to hide my emotions, hide my fear and my hatred, I had to become nonexistent.

And then I made friends with Jenna and Samuel. Liam and Russell followed their lead. I knew my parents had said something to the student body class about befriending me but no one stood up to the plate except jenna and Samuel. When Samuel found and lost his mate is when we really became friends and when I started to teach Jenna is when we became friends.

Although I knew she didn't want to be my friend I ignored the fact and tried to use my words to prosway her. I told them I wanted to build my own pack, a pack were everyone was equal except the Alpha, Beta and Gamma. I told them there'd be no omegas or upper classman, I wanted equality.

Liam and Russell started to visit me more after I preached what I had been drawing up ever since I was a little kid.

Asia and Marcus came years after that, mates in the making that wanted a group of friends. Asia was the only one who didn't care about my status, money or plans of becoming an Alpha. Marcus on the other hand wanted to be Beta or Gamma so he, Liam and Russell fought for spots in my 'new pack' I hated it.

Zoning back into reality I covered my face with my hands, trying to block out the world and what I really felt. I didn't want anyone to walk up on me, a wolf with higher blood, crying but I couldn't seem to stop.

Tears rolled down my cheeks in thick waves like the ocean, I let a other sob out, this one sounding more like a cry for help.

In my mix of sobbing I hadn't heard my tent door unzipped and a body crawl in, I hadn't felt strong arms wrap around my waist and pull me into a warm naked chest. I hadn't heard the soft soothing whispers of Xavier. But he was there, he held me and he calmed me down enough so that I could make coherent words.

"W-why" I sniffled "why a-are y-y-you he-here?" I snuggled closer to his warm chest. "Father wanted me to watch out for you, tell me Scarlet, why are you off trail" deciding not to answer I whimpered against his side. My eyes closed.

"I'm s-s-so sorry" my arms found themselves around Xavier's waist, my head resting on his chest. "I'm-" he stopped me "I know" Xavier kissed my forehead laying me down. "Go to sleep Scarlet" reluctantly I closed my eyes but my hands kept their firm grip.

"Go to sleep" this time I was able to fall asleep but the fear of Xavier not being there in the morning was what had me tossing and turning.

* * *

I was right.

Xavier wasn't there when I woke up and the grass below me was covered in a thin layer of frost. I sighed.

Taking the book I had yet to finish yesterday I packed it up, today we'd be running another ten miles, stop, then run the rest of the way by morning tomorrow.

It would take another week and a half to get to the ocean, then two days to ride by boat over to Massachusetts. I planned to stay there for a couple of days before heading to Chicago. At this point I didn't care about making it to The Hunt, I didn't care about who judged me and what they said behind my back, I had weakened up over the last week and I don't want that to happen again.

So I ran and ran and ran until I couldn't run anymore. I didn't care if Russell, Jenna, Noah, Liam and Samuel were far behind me with no warning on when to run. I didn't care that their wolves howled attention to mine, I didn't care. I kept running, past the ten mile mark, up some hills and past streamd stopping only to drink water and catch a fish or two. I kept running until I couldn't run anymore.

In the morning I finally clasped in a heap of heaving breathing, sweat and sleepiness. My wolfs chest heave up and down looking at the tree covered sky, the little bits we did see were peaceful. I closed my eyes, I didn't feel like changing back nor did I feel like checking where my group was, probably ten miles behind me already camped out.

Painfully I shrugged off my tent bag. I left it next to me as I slept, when I woke up I stood and continued my run forgetting my tent bag on purpose.

I didn't need it, it only weighed me down along with my friends. Without them I could get to the border before the end of the week and that's what I planned to do.

I continued on my way. Running, sleeping, eating and shrugging off clothing little by little. I hadn't yet shifted back and I didn't plan to until I reached the loading dock.

My wind didn't seem to wonder these past few days. At first it did, at first I was worried about my group and where Xavier was, if he was still following but those thought were wiped away quickly when I ran into a group of rogues.

They were vicious at first. Two attacked me but when their leader stepped in, we created a mind link and they let me sleep on their land. I slept for a full day, to tired mentally and physically to get back up. Sometimes I wondered if finding my mother was worth it.

Would she even want to see me? Would she be happy or sad?

I honestly didn't want to think about it and so I gazed at the sky before me. A variety of colors swirled together as the sun went down. Blue, purple, yellow and orange. All beautiful colors that made the sky glow until navy blue started to show and blackness took over what was once beautiful. That's how I felt.

Beautiful at once but darkness got to me. Burned my soul and all that came with it.

Going to sleep for a day and resting the other set me back two days, so come Friday morning I'd have to run double the distance. I knew it was bad for me, I was pushing myself to the limit and I'd already lost an increasingly amount of weight making me look unhealthy and unable to protect myself.

When the sun came back up the next morning Aurora, a beautiful black wolf born a rogue came up to me. Her wet nose brushed against my purr drawing a low whine from her when I didn't more. Aurora nudged my side but all I could do was blink. She shifted back "Scarlet" she whispered, Aurora was fifteen years old, so young and unwanted. Like me.

"Scarlet please say something" my eyes flickers to her black orbs. Being a rogue meant your wolf was more in control instead of your human. Their eyes are seen as yours, their canines are your teeth and their anger is yours. I was surprised Aurora only had the teeth and eyes part but then again I'd never heard of a born rogue, let alone seen one.

"Scarlet shift" and I did a slow and painful process that had me crying out in pain. Throat dried and bones creaking was not a good conversation for an underweight wolf that was practically skin and bones.

A laid as a pile bones, sobbing from the pain.

* * *

Author's Note:

What did you guys think of the chapter? Were you sad, angry? I'd like to hear your thoughts!