23 - Light 'Em Up (My Friends Know What You Did To Me In The Dark)

this chapter was fueled by Marilyn Manson

-staypunky

***

Karen was the one to pick me up from the station.

Honestly, I wasn't surprised.

I figured she'd want to talk to me in the car and give some bullshit excuse about how Cory had been drunk and didn't know what he was doing.

"Cory was drunk, Kyler," she glanced at me from the driver's seat before turning her attention back on the road ahead, "He didn't know what he was doing."

Bitch is just that predictable.

I wanted to roll my eyes at that, but Jack gave me specific instructions to play it cool; I had to make it seem like I was too freaked out about the situation to care.

"Yeah, I know..." I mumbled, my hands in my lap as I starred out the passenger side window, houses and cars going by with the late afternoon sky looming overhead.

She turned down another street, a sigh escaping her lips, "I don't know what got into him last night."

I wish it had been a knife.

"But he realized his mistakes and he won't be bothering you again."

Not after I'm done with him, he won't.

She glanced at me but realized I was no longer in the mood to talk. I could tell she was surprised I wasn't yelling at her to leave him or kick him out of the house, but that's just how I wanted her to feel; surprised, and unsuspecting.

Once we pulled up to the house, my insides were twisting as nervousness slithered into my skin, but it was masked by hatred that simmered on my brow. I unbuckled my seat belt, but before I could push myself to get out the car, Karen had placed a hand on my shoulder, prompting me look at her.

"Kyler..." she began, her voice cautious, "You're not going to tell anyone about what happened, are you?"

I had to withhold the smirk that was itching at my lips as I shook my head, making myself believe the lie to keep my nose at bay, "No. Like you said, he was just drunk."

She watched me for a moment before a relieved sigh passed her lips and I inwardly thanked Jack for teaching me in the art of effectively lying, "Okay, good."

I nodded before opening the car door and got out, scanning over the house with a thin smirk on my lips. Cory was in there, probably sitting around without any knowledge of what was to go down tonight; he was going to pay.

"And try not to get into an argument, please." Karen requested of me and I simply shrugged, following her up to the front door.

She cautiously unlocked the door before pushing it open and I took a deep breath, remembering how Jack had wanted me to play it; cool.

I assumed Cory wouldn't dare show his face around me for at least the day, but instead, he was standing full attention over by the coffee table in the middle of the living room. He had a tired look to his eyes, his hair combed, but still holding an essence of disorganization. It seemed as though he had had a rough night, but that only fueled the excitement to make this night even worse.

"Cory..." Karen began, speaking with a slightly condescending tone, her arms folded over her chest, "Is there anything you'd like to say to Kyler?"

He rubbed at the back of his neck awkwardly, like he was actually nervous about talking to me and I kept a blank expression on face despite the glare I wanted to give.

His voice was strangly timid, "Uh, I'm sorry about the other night...I was out of line."

No. FUCKING. SHIT.