Chapter Twenty: Think Like a Girl, Act Like a Man

Chapter Twenty:  Think Like a Girl, Act Like a Man

*Next two hours*

For the last two hours, I was just sitting here inside the closet; trying to not get caught.  Also, in these last two hours, I came to a conclusion, or thought if you will. The key to the diary is actually my key necklace I was given for my thirteenth birthday.

So, the new plan: After the cleaning lady, Marta leaves, I'll get the diary then run to my room. Should I take it or not? Whatever, I'll decide in the moment. No, I have to decide now. Okay, what are my options? I can unlock the diary and take a few pictures of it... No. I guess I'll just have to take it and face the consequences of mum finding out that the diary is missing. So, it's set. I have to take it at any cost; no matter what the consequences will be.

Finally, Marta leaves. I know this because I hear her shut the door and I peek through the slits of the closet. I was about to again get out of the closet until the door opened- I quickly went back into the closet and hid. 

I peeked through the slit, I see mum. She looked around, satisfied. "Good job, Marta. Remind me to pay you double next time." she said to herself, as if she was making a mental note. She looked around, went through things, I think she was making sure that Marta didn't steal anything- which is fair enough. 

I mean, when people come to our house and notice how big it is, they must think, 'Wow, these people muste be rich. I bet they won't notice if something's missing since this house is so big and they've got tons of money.' so, I don't blame mum for searching if anything is stolen- especially in this room.

I was watching her look through everything through the little slits of the closet, she even looked through the drawer where the diary is. Then, she lifts some books and is heading toward this closet that I'm hiding in. Oh my god, she's gonna see me! I quickly shift to the very right end of the closet and hid under the lowest shelf, I rapidly hit the keys on my phone. I texted Olli to come and ring the doorbell, to stall mum.

I waited for about five minutes for her to open the closet, and then, unexpectedly, it opens. OH MY GOD, this will be the end of me. I scoot my feet closer to my stomach, mum's foot is right next to my foot. Then, I bump my head against the shelf and that raises her attention.

Then, on the perfect timing, the doorbell dings. I heard mum groan in annoyance and she leaves the room. I peer out of the door to see her walking down the steps, this is my chance. I run to the drawer and grab the diary and run to my room. I shut my door quickly and quietly and locked it too. I then ran to my little cute, den like TV area in my room and go to the wall bookshelf. I lift the silver heart shaped jewelery holder only to find nothing. It was in here. I treasured it in here, I remember. And I most definatly remember that I didn't take it with me when I moved out.

That bitch. She probably must have figured out that my necklace is the key and she's probably already read that diary. I search frantically for it and yet no luck. After about five minutes of ramsacking my room and yet trying to keep it like it's untouched at the same time, I slightly open my bedroom door and see mum go into the office. I shut the door a little bit, allowing myself a small space in which I could still see the hallway. 

I see mum closing the door and going down the steps, I hear her mumbling what she's going to make for lunch. I sigh in instant relief once I see that she's down the steps and is preparing her lunch. 

I searched through everything in this room... But there's only one other room I can think of that she may have hid it- her room.

I opened the door once more, I looked to my left, then to my right, making sure the hallway was clear of mum. I then ran to her room and basically did the same to my room; ramsacked it while trying to make it look as if her stuff was untouched.

I checked everywhere in her room, and yet the same result. Think, Leslie think. Where would she keep the necklace. Plant? No. Table? No. In the bed? No. Under her pillow? No. C'mon, Leslie think... Think like a girl, act like a man. THAT'S IT!

Think like a girl, act like a man; that's the answer. I've checked almost everything in this bedroom, right?  But there is one thing I over looked... The jewelery box. To my dismay, she had many many jewelry boxes; until I come across a special looking one. 

It was pink; all her other jewelry boxes were either of brown or black or silver... I lifted the top of the jewelery boxl only to find a bunch of necklaces and rings that looked nothing like mine. I then noticed that there is a small drawer in the jewelery box. In that small drawer, there is a clear baggie; it's my necklace!