Chapter Ten: Inked On The Skin Forever

I walked into the building, it smelled of freshly opened bandages, cologne, and rubbing alcohol; I wanted to tthrow up right then and there; but that would risk me not getting the tatoo. I don't know why, but I'm really determined to get this tattoo... Oh yeah, that's right; this is the first birthday without Dad. I just sighed at the thought, which earned me a look from Olli, "Are you alright?" he asked. I nodded, "Yeah, just thinking." I responded. He then led me over to the corner. He placed a hand on my right shoulder, "You know you don't have to do this." he said calmly. I took in a deep breath and nodded, "I want to do this, Olli." I told him reassuringly. He nodded, "Okay, then." he said as we took a seat in front of the tattoo artist. 

"Hi, what can I do for you kids?" he asked, obviously not knowing that we are of legal age to get a tatoo. "Hi, we're here to get a tattoo; both of us." I said, looking at Olli, who nodded at me, agreeing and reassuring me. 

"You know you have to be of legal age, right?" he said. Okay this guy is starting to annoy me; why would you come to a tattoo parlor underaged? I then sighed, and both Olli and I took out our ID's along with our Drivers Licences... Ugh, it was just a hassle to get both my ID and driver's license out of my wallet... Why, to  forms of identification? Well, because some people choose to be annoying retards and steal people's identities and ruin their lives so we have to have proof that we're legal age. 

We handed him our proof of identifications and he examined them carefully, looking and examing each of our faces according to who's card he was holding. After he seemed satisfied of what he studied, he handed us our cards back and I put them in my wallet. He then handed us some paperwork to fillout, which was fairly easy and quick. After we were finished filling out our papers, we handed them back to the man, who kept it in a folder.

"Okay, who's going first?" he asked. I looked at Olli, Olli was silent. I guess I'll just have to go. "Me," I said to the artist. "Okay, what do you want?" I thought about it again. I am definatly getting a heart with the number nineteen next to it, in a smaller size, but I also want one that reminds me of Dad. So, I decided that I'll get two tattoos. The first one of the heart and the nineteen, the second one, will be one on the side of my right hand, written in cursive, it should say, 'Daddy' on it. 

I told the tattoo artist this and he had a little trouble understanding this, so I drew both of them out on a paper for him. He studied the paper and pretty soon he began inking it on me.

Getting a tattoo is painful, very very painful. Especially for me, I'd be getting two! I sucked in, trying to hold in the pain while Olli rubbed my back in circles and holding my hand; I squeezed his hand harder and harder each minute as the pain got worse; I'm surprised that he hasn't lost blood circulation in his hand! 

Finally, it was done and finished; it was done perfectly. I was satisfied with it. Now it's Olli turn.

Olli decided on getting my birthday inked on the side of his wrist. Once the artist laid the tattoo needle on his skin, Olli started crying and yelping in pain. I helped him through it, I held his free hand, rubbed small circles on his back and I even told him that he didn't need to do it. 

But, while I was caring about Olli, my focus and thoughts were on the tattoos that I had gotten inked on my skin forever, and I thought deep about it. It was worth it. It has meaning. And I'm definately never going to regret these tattoos.