His Darling | 2

A/N: Just so you don't get confused, this story will change tenses from past to present occasionally. I don't know how often (probably just this time and another one). Just so you can get glimpses of Raven now in the present. But this story will be mostly written in past tense. (I hope that makes sense.) If it's too confusing, tell me! And I will make arrangements if it's possible.

x

CHAPTER TWO.

Present.

The recording camera feels like an intruder, I can feel it as if it's breathing hard down my neck.

"Have you seen any of your friends?"

I nod slowly and a pang hits my chest, the words escape my lips before I regret them. "They don't think I'm the Raven they used to know." My hands shake and I look down at them, clasping them together. They didn't say that but I could see it in their eyes.

Mrs. Grace cocks her head a little. "And why's that?"

I shrug. Because I'm not. I want to say. Instead, I begin to recall the first time I saw them after a year. "Melanie came first." I begin to say, losing myself slowly in the memory. "I didn't wanna see her. She was crying. So much. She was sorry for not being a good friend. For losing sight of me that night. For...everything." I look at Mrs. Grace. "Was I supposed to cry with her? Because I...I couldn't. She noticed that I wouldn't cry. I wouldn't say anything when she just kept crying on me like I was dead." My eyes begin to burn because she had no idea how much I missed Melanie and how much a small part of me used to blame all of them. "I could only hug her back."

Mrs. Grace looks at me thoughtfully. "Raven, it was your first time seeing her after so long and after such tragic events. No, you were not supposed to cry with her. You were unbelievably shocked."

"Melanie told me Isaac can't even remember his own name." I feel the guilt crawling up my skin like a deadly snake. Its venom making me crumble inside.

"What about Max? Your mom told me you were good friends with him."

The words struggle to come out of my mouth. "He's--After Melanie left, he came in, his eyes were bloodshot red and he looked a mess," I say as I remember seeing Max's clothes crumpled, like he had slept on them. His hair was disheveled. Dark bags hung under his eyes and he had reeked of alcohol. "He hasn't stopped drinking ever since..."

Mrs. Grace nods, understanding.

I continue with clasped hands and a hammering heart. "He grabbed my face and looked at me for a long time," I say as I clearly recall the look he had. One of anger. Despair. Disappointment. Disgust. I could barely see the old Max there. "Then he hugged me and stormed out of the room."

Mrs. Grace nods slowly and looks straight at me. "Why do you think he did that?"

It's obvious. "He's heard what everyone's been saying," I say, with tightness in my chest.

"Raven--"

"Is he alive?" I ask desperately. I haven't had a chance to ask her. And the question had been poking my insides.

Mrs. Grace frowns. "Who?"

"You know who. Him."

Mrs. Grace sighs then, taking her glasses off and putting them on the small table. "Raven--"

"No one will tell me if he is alive or not," I tell her. "Not my parents. Not the police. No one."

"Do you know why?"