His Darling | 8

I don't usually do this, but some people are pretty sensitive to this kind of stuff so...

Warning: Graphic violence. Profanity. All that disturbing stuff. Yadda yadda yadda. You've been warned.

Okay. Moving on.

CHAPTER EIGHT.

He'd taken out a duffle bag from the closet and was hastily throwing what I had to consider my clothes in it. I stared numbly at him after I was done punching and screaming at the invisible wall. "Xander,"

He didn't stop. "We're moving." His tone was as matter-of-factly as the sky was blue. "That driver saw you and called the police."

My mind began buzzing. But I smoldered what could be excitement to a dull frigidity. Because no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't escape. And now there was this inexplicable shimmering force blocking the doorway and any sound inside the room. I forced myself to not give up and kill myself.

"They're gone," Henry was at the doorway--it wasn't waving and shimmering anymore--walking in and looking at me.

I backed away fiercely, catching a glimpse at the cell phone on the edge the bed, which was too far for me to take, and seeing the date on the screen: Thursday, October 23.

I had been wrong. I had been here nearly, if not, two months.

Henry's eyes moved to Xander, who was slamming the closet door shut. "Landon's men are closing in. We need to go. Now."

Xander nodded, threw the duffel bag at Henry, who caught it with ease, and swiftly crouched to get another two from under the bed. Those had a rougher material and looked heavier. I briefly wondered what could possibly be in there.

Instead, I found myself whispering, "I'm losing my mind."

Xander was in front of me. I slowly looked up at him and we locked eyes. God, was it possible for someone to hate blue eyes so much? His look was a serious one--nearly unreadable.

I stared at him, thinking of Max, whose emotions you could read all over him. Whose eyes were big and brown. Whose smile was contagious and breathtaking. He'd told me one day, walking out our favorite pizzeria that he was positive there were things in this world beyond our understanding. I'd rolled my eyes.

Wasn't this beyond my understanding? Or was I simply going insane with the obsession that I wanted to escape but couldn't?

"No, you're not. This is reality. And it's only going to get worse." Xander said harshly, anger now evident everywhere in him.

Then he stepped away and mumbled something to Henry along the lines of "I should've never done this. She'll never understand." And then "...kill her."

Henry nodded and whispered something to Xander I was unable to catch. Xander turned to me with a cold expression.

When I didn't say anything, he said, "Close your eyes."

This is it.

"Are you finally going to kíll me?" I asked him. I wasn't screaming or yelling or being sarcastic. I was merely and quite sincerely asking. And I think that's what drove him crazy.

The chilling look on his face threatened me to back away, but I didn't move a muscle. His eyes were blazing and his hands began to clench into fists...

I closed my eyes.

Nothing happened.

But then, suddenly, my legs became weak and buckled underneath me. I screamed but no sound came out. I fell to the ground and tumbled into oblivion.