His Darling | 12

CHAPTER TWELVE.

The night was stunning. Glittering stars covered the dark sky and silence sung into the darkness with the cool autumn breeze. The moon was far but looked dazzling from the distance. I'd never sense this much peace around me ever since I was taken.

"For many years, Kania was hated by countless women, but adored by men...All men." He scoffed. "She was beautiful and fierce. Everyone knew she sold their body to them." He said. "But at a very high price. She was very demanding. Not like the other girls who gave their bodies for a few drinks or a couple of hundreds."

"A prostitute."

"It was common back then. I never knew why she did it. She didn't seem poor and didn't seem to enjoy having to deal with the gossip. And I knew she wasn't forced.

"So what was it?"

He shrugged. "Hell if I know. Perhaps to fill in the void of her loneliness. She had no siblings, no father, and her mother wasn't her mother."

"The men only wanted her for her body?"

He raised his eyebrow but shook his head. "Many fell hard for her. For her big eyes, her silky hair, her powerful presence. For simply being Kania. Kania was cold, though, and unreachable. She made men feel as if they were kings. As if they could build empires...But it was all for show. She despised them.

The unthinkable happened--"

"She fell in love," I remembered.

He nodded. "With the worst of the worst."

My curiosity got the best of me."Who?"

"A demon."

"Demon?"

"When I tell you all men adored her I mean angels, beasts, humans, demons, every specie."

Before I could react he was already talking.

"That demon was everything opposite of Kania. He was quiet and kept to himself. He wasn't very attractive either--his skin was covered in scales."

Leslie.  He was Leslie's father.

"But demons...aren't they supposed to be evil?" Meaning they couldn't possibly feel anything remotely close to love?

"Yeah, they're evil by nature. It runs through their veins. They can't help it, but they can fight it. That's what he did for her." He explained. "Kania was part angel, part human."

"What's his name?" I asked, then clarified, "The demon's."

He looked taken aback, but answered anyway, "Lance," he said and continued monotonously. "What they had was against the rules. They warned her. Told her to leave him and go far away. She did none."

"Who's they?"

"Guardians, angels, most from above,"

"Then what happened?"

He looked at me. "They came late at night, burst through her front door and ripped Lance's heart out his chest. She had killed two of them before they all could've gotten to him. But she was outnumbered and pregnant."

I had a hard time taking all this information in. Angels, demons, beasts.  What else could I have done? I was already dragged into this world. There was no denying that. I had to deal with whatever it came with.

With a dull, prickling pain and regret in my heart, I blamed my friends. I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for them. Thus, I forced Xander to tell me the story of the woman who saved my life.