6 - Those Eyes

As I near the houses a few wolves notice me. They sniff the air and wrinkle up their noses. One small black one decides to be curious and links to me.

‘Who are you? This house is for the single wolves. You smell like you’re mated.’

I stopped and looked at the wolf. ‘No, I am Mateless and the mark belongs to a wolf who thinks that it will make me his. He is mistaken and will die at my paws when I meet him again. I am actually looking for my mate.’

The wolf dipped his head in apology. ‘I understand. Your welcome then.’

I nodded back. ‘Thank you.’

I watched as the little wolf went off. I sighed and turned back to the houses. The first was red and the other was blue. I guessed that the blue was the guys’ house.

I walked to the front door and sat down.  After a few minutes a white and grey wolf came up to the porch.

He looked at me with a tilted head. ‘What is a female doing on the porch?’

I shrugged. ‘Looking for my mate. I figured that if I sit here long enough someone will come by and I’ll find him. If he isn’t here then I’ll just live here sadly and hopelessly.’

The wolf seemed surprised. ‘Oh, well… Why didn’t you just ask for a meeting?’

I shook my head. Wulfric says that his wolves are spread out too much and it would also leave the lands undefended. He’s the one who told me to come down here.’

The wolf nodded slowly. ‘You address him by name without the title. What is your rank and where do you come from?’

I sighed. ‘A different pack. I was Alpha in training but… a few issues arouse and until I find my mate, I can’t fix anything.’

The wolf had a calm look. ‘Ok, well if any one questions you about being here tell them that Wiley gave you permission.’

I nodded and watched as the wolf went back the way he came. I laid back down on the porch. I guess I feel asleep because I woke up in the middle of the night. A pair of purple eyes stared back at me from the woods.

I stood up and stared back. A few moments later they disappeared. Feeling curious, I went out to where they were.

I sniffed around but the scent had been blown away by the wind. I sighed and went back to the porch.

I looked around. It was quiet and the moon was half full. It would be rude to continue sleeping on someone else’s porch. So I got up and walked north to the main house. The porch light was on and the dog door was unlocked so I slipped in.

No one was up so I headed up stairs. I sniffed around for Matthew’s scent since it’s all over my belongings.

I follow it down the hall into a small bed room. The door was cracked so I went in. I looked around. Small homey room. A twin sized bed with a canopy.

After closing the door, I shift and get dressed in a pair of my basket ball shorts and a tank top.

I crawl in the bed and fall sleep quickly.

I wake up at sunrise the next morning. A jingle of bells comes from my backpack near the bed. I get up and pull out my phone. I check the caller id before answering.

“Hey Liz.”

Liz yelled. “Hey? Hey? That’s all you have to saw after running away from the pack? And not to mention how destroyed your dad seems. I can believe you! I thought you were my friend and my Alpha!”