5 - Runaway Alpha

Regina woke me up at day break. The next few hours she would spend fixing my hair, putting on make-up, and cooing over my tired face.

From 7 till 11, I was stuck in my room. Once mother finished my hair and face, she forced me to step into this outrageously long dress. It was a white silk. The sleeves were short and a thin floral pattern, the trail was overly long. The dress terrified me.

When mom was finally happy with it, she touched up my face and smiled. I wouldn’t smile back though. She ended up taking a picture before leaving me in the room alone.

This was my only chance. I quickly pulled out the letter that I wrote and placed it on my neatly folded bed. Then I tore the dress off except for a light undercover. I ran to my closet and grabbed the backpack.

I peaked around corners and down the stairs till I was at the back door. The very second I opened it, I forced myself to shift. As soon at my feet touched the ground; I gripped the backpack in my mouth and ran to the empty lot border as fast as I could.

Snow started to fall as I ran. Surprisingly I didn’t encounter any wolves either. A shock went through my spine as I neared the border. I felt a mind link to me at the same time.

‘Tiffany? Aren’t you supposed to be dressed for the wedding that you didn’t tell me about?’

I cursed as Liz spoke. I stopped at the border without crossing. ‘Matthew is bad. But whatever you do don’t tell him I’m gone. He may force you once he takes Alpha but until then remember that I’m your friend first. I’m doing this to protect the pack. I will be back. Forgive me!’

Before she could try to find me I hopped over the boundary. All links were cut off. I thanked the border laws and took off running again. Liz wouldn’t be able to link to me since I’m out of the border and not close to it any longer.

I keep running for an hour near before I stop near a town. I shift and get dress behind a deserted building. I put the backpack on and walk out and head towards a hotel.

I ask the front desk for a map and a room for the night. Once in the room, I lay out the map on the table. Luckily it’s a US map so I can easily mark the packs.

I’m in a town in western North Dakota. Our packs cover most of the land in this area. Kingdom Pack starts on the eastern border of North Dakota and stretches over two states.

Only other land that is claimed is in the South. Colorado area I think. It would be impossible to travel by foot. The packs had lands all over the Dakotas. I’d have to use my personal credit card and fly out of state. Annoyed I fold the map back up and set it in my bag. I took a shower and went to bed.

Around 6 my phone wakes me up. Without thinking, I answer it.

“Hello?”

An angry Matthew responds. “You think running away will save your pack? Well it doesn’t help anything. Running away only makes you look bad. Your parents have been talking. They are going to appoint me as Alpha. Kyle is heartbroken that you ran. Regina doesn’t seem to care. Liz and Cole are both upset in their own ways. I hope that you stay away. But you probably think your Mate will help. I doubt it.”

I sat up and growled. “It’s none of your business. And Matthew, don’t get too comfortable.”

He laughed and hung up. Feeling the urgency, I got up and packed any loose items. I checked out of the hotel and left the town. The nearest airport was a few hours down the road. I would have to run.

Once away from the town, I stripped down and shifted. With the bag in my mouth, I ran as fast as I could toward the airport.

As I neared it, I had to shift again before I could get any closer. The land was bare.