4 - Last Chance

Wednesday started with me getting up early and walking through the pack lands. I was trying to find a job to keep me busy and away from Matthew and my Mother.

Border patrol was full with four wolves so that was out of the question. I decided to go check of the pups. Maybe the sitter needed help today.

I turned toward the nursery. A few wolves who passed by would bow their heads to me. I would nodd back in thanks.

When I got to the nursery I looked around. There was only one litter of three today and Susan, Liz’s mom, had them listening to her read a book. I smiled and sat at the back. When she finished, she had the pups lay down for a nap and came over to where I was.

“Hello Tiffany. What brings you down here?”

I smile. “Just trying to find something to do away from the house. You and the rest of the pack probably heard about what’s going on by now.”

Susan frowned. “No I haven’t, Liz tells me everything so she probably doesn’t know yet either. What is it?”

I sighed and my smiled disappeared. “Oh… She’s going to be mad at me then. Well the Kingdom Alpha is enforcing the Laws again. I have to be married or have a mate for the Alpha position. As a female I can only be a Luna. Sadly the only one my parents can find as a suitable Alpha is one of my Exs who is crazy about me. My Mate can’t be found so I have to marry him on Friday to keep the Alpha title for my family and myself. If I don’t, my family will be stripped to Omegas.”

Susan looked down sadly. “It’s a bad time in the world when the young have to marry to protect their families. I understand why you want to stay away from home. Luna Regina must be all over the place with the wedding. And if this boy is as crazy as he sounds then you‘d want to ditch him every chance you get. I’m sorry honey.”

I agreed and sighed. “Do you mind explaining to Liz for me?”

Susan agreed and set me away. “Go find some more useful work. I hear that none of the elders are ill and need help around their house.”

I left and took Susan’s directions. I ended up spending the rest of the day cleaning and helping out with an Elder’s home like Susan had said.

Later that night, I got home feeling dirty and exhausted. I took a shower and as soon as my head hit my pillow, I was asleep.

I woke up as sun light hit my eyes from the window. I realized that I had wasted another day by mistake. Instead of leaving the house I decided to write down any ideas.

I got a spiral out and began writing.

1. Tell parents – Matthew would kill me anyways

2. Tell someone else – Regina would accuse them of lying and I still die

3. Fight Matthew and find someone else – I’m slower than him and parents can’t find anyone else

4. Step down – lost title and give up pack to Matthew

5. Run away – Everyone will think of me as a coward but my family would be fine

The last choice sounded the best. But the pack wouldn’t allow me too. I’d have to do it during the wedding. Matthew would still get the position but my family and I would keep our title. If I could find my mate then we could come back and challenge him.

I scrapped the other ideas and went with the last one. I spent the rest of the day packing a backpack with shorts and shirts and supplies for the road. Late that night I hid it in the hallway closet. Regina will be dressing me in my room so I can dash for it when the time came.

After eating I went to bed.

That night I dreamed of weddings and wolves fighting for their lives. It scared me the most when I saw Cole ripped apart by Matthew. He turned toward me at Cole became still. Then right before I woke up, the fast wolf charged at me with teeth gleaming with fresh blood.

I laid in my bed for a few hours after that. Sleep took me again but this time it was more peaceful.

~Sorry that it’s a short chapter.