Chapter 12 | Part 1

Ethan woke to the sun pouring into his room, he turned to find the waste of blood in the form of his slave waiting for an order.  

He scowled and sat up in bed.

“Well.” 

“What sir?”

“Have you learned anything about her slave? Anything I can use to turn him against her?”

Anrai stood at the side of his master’s bed, looking down, he didn’t want to betray Hayden, but his hesitation cost him.  Ethan hit the slave on the side of his head.

“What did you learn?”

“He was tortured, probably upon her order.”

Ethan smiled, that he could use.  He needed to cut the bond the two shared, he had already started by making Jayda fall in love with him, but he couldn’t do that to the slave, instead he would turn the affections he knew existed away from his mistress.  

He got out of bed and went to the bathroom, 

“Make the bed.” 

_____________________

Hayden woke at 7:30 and got ready for the day, he went into the bathroom and showered, re-entering the room to find Anrai already gone.  

He dressed and was in his mistresses room by 8:15.

He walked in as quietly as he could, she was still sleeping, she usually was, so he would watch her as she silently breathed in and out, so peacefully, so beautifully.  

Some mornings he would put away laundry or do other things like that, but this morning he just stood on the other side of the room and watched as her eyelids fluttered open.

She got into the shower the way she did every morning and Hayden made her bed, he had just finished when Ethan entered the room 

“Jay in the shower? Pity.”

Hayden said nothing.

“Tell me, was it her that tortured you?”

Hayden’s head snapped up, how did he know that?

“No.”

“Oh so she didn’t do it personally, did she order it then?”

Hayden hesitated,

“Yes.”
Ethan shook his head and sat down on her bed,

“I couldn’t do what you do. Not when I had opportunities to run, and especially not after what she did to you.”

Hayden turned his back to the man, he wouldn’t listen to the things he was saying, but the little voice in the back of his head agreed, why did he stay?

She blew up, and she could do the same thing again. Could he survive again?

He looked to his upper arm where he had been branded, he didn’t know if that was her ordering or not.  

If Ethan wasn’t here, he knew he would survive on hope, but if he had to watch her love him at the same time, he didn’t know if he could.

“Ethan, what’re you doing?”

“Thought we could go to breakfast in town.”

Jayda smiled at him,

“Sounds great”

She was wearing dark blue jeans with a green/blue tank top, she slipped on flip-flops and started out the door.

_____________

“Jay, I’ve been meaning to ask you something.”

The two had sat down for breakfast in town, leaving their slaves at the house. 

“Yes?”

“We’ve been friends for a long time now, and I think we should take our relationship to the next level, Jayda, will you be my girlfriend?”

Jayda sat at the table smiling as widely as possible,

“Yes, Ethan of course I will.”

He reached across the surface and took her hands, they leaned in, and kissed over the table.