Chapter 14 | Part 1

Anrai woke to a dull pounding in his head, he ached all over, he remembered what had happened, he had nothing new to report to his master, no new information; so the punishment had been severe, worse than he had remembered.

He opened his eyes to see Hayden and another woman he hadn't seen before sitting over him.

"Are you alright?"

Hayden asked.

"Yeah, Hayden, I'm so sorry, I didn't mean any harm."

"I know,"

"Can you forgive me?"

Hayden looked down at Anrai, his bandaged head already soaking up the blood.

"Yes, I can."

He looked out the window to see Jayda and Ethan returning from town,

"I need to get back, you'll be ok?"

Anrai nodded. Hayden started out the door, he ran down the stairs of the house to Jayda's room, she had just reached it and he passed Ethan on the way there.

He walked into the room and stood at attention.

"How was town?"

Jayda shrugged her shoulders

"Alright I guess. Are you doing okay?"

"Yes ma'am."

He nodded. At that point Ethan came bursting back into the room.

He grabbed Hayden by the neck and almost yelled,

"Where is my slave."

Hayden was desperately clawing at Ethan's hand, who's strength kept Hayden in the air, even though Ethan was only a couple of inches taller.

"Ethan!"

Jayda yelled.

"Put him down!"

Ethan looked back at his girlfriend and slowly began to lower the slave.

As soon as his feet hit the floor Hayden collapsed, coughing and trying to get air back into his lungs again.

"Ethan what's wrong with you?"

"My slave is missing."

"So?! Why do you take that out on Hayden?"

"He is the only way the boy could've left."

Jayda shook her head.

"I don't care Ethan! Hayden isn't yours to punish."

"Then where is my slave."

Hayden gasped from the floor.

"He's in recovery, he passed out from blood loss.  He's still here."

Ethan glared down at the slave and kicked past him to sit next to Jayda, pulling her into a hug.

"You're right sweetheart.  I'm sorry. I was wrong to do so to him, but he did move my slave without permission. Will you please punish him."

"If you don't think taking him to se Lilli was enough punishment."

"That wasn't punishment Rae, I was just trying to be nice."

He puckered his lips looking down at her.

"Okay then."

She motioned him over to her and he knelt on the floor in front of her bed. She breathed in then struck him across the face, her hand leaving a red welt on his cheek. His head jerked to the side with more force than she had intended.  She hadn't wanted to hurt him, only make Ethan happy. He turned his head back towards her,keeping his eyes on the ground so she couldn't see the tears that had welled there and said.

"Thank you mistress."

"There."

She looked back to Ethan, who set down the water bottle he had carried on her bedside table and planted a small kiss on her lips before leaving the room. Hayden stood and asked.

"May I go check on Anri?"

"Yes."

He walked out of the room and she almost called out after him, but decided against it.  Maybe the ways of the ancient would be her choice after all.