Chapter 16 | Part 1

Jayda stared at the magazine sitting on the table in front of her.  

The staff of their newly acquired private jet had stocked the plane with the newest gossip magazines, and they all had the same cover story.

“Jayda Mayin, a royal?”

Jayda sat back in a huff, Hayden was sitting next to her on the couch and Anrai across from them.

They had been in the air for 6 hours, and would be landing in New York in a few minutes.

It had been 3 days since the court room, Jayda had tracked Anrai’s brother down to a small theatre in the kingdom of New York.

“Please fasten your seatbelts, we will be landing shortly.” 

The captains voice flooded through the cabin.  

The three teens sat back in their seats and buckled their belts, preparing for the descent.

As soon as the plane hit the ground, Jayda felt her stomach churn. She wasn’t ready to face the vicious predators that were the paparazzi.  

It was cold in New York, so she was wearing her old navy blue Cali surf hoodie over her black jeans.  

She pulled the hood up over her straight hair.  

Hayden was in jeans and a white long-sleeved shirt and black jacket while Anrai was in a green shirt.  

The plane landed on a private stretch of land about a 15 minute drive outside of the city.

They got off and had the small amount of suitcases unloaded, then loaded into the taxi waiting to take them into town.

15 minutes later they arrived in the center of town, where the cabbie let them out at a hotel.

Jayda got out and pulled her hood further over her face. They walked into the lobby and Hayden checked them into their adjoining rooms.

They took their luggage up and sat in the room the boys shared waiting for the 7:00 showing of the musical at the “Cinemac” the theatre where Collin had been sold to.

“It’s 6:00. Do you need to, glam up?”

Hayden asked turning to Jayda who hadn’t changed since they had gotten on the plane that morning. She sighed.

“I suppose.”

She walked to her room, curled her hair and freshened her makeup.  She left her jeans on, pairing them instead with a pair of black heeled boots and a white silk 3/4 sleeve shirt. She clasped a simple crystal necklace that hung just above the neckline of the shirt.  She tugged on a pair of black lace fingerless gloves and walked back into th room that the boys were sharing.

“Ready?”

They walked outside and Hayden and Anrai hailed a cab.

By the time they got to the theatre it was 6:45.  The three walked inside and Jayda approached the ticket booth.

“Three for the 7:00 showing.” 

“$36 please.”

They walked inside and found the theatre to be virtually empty.  Apparently few people enjoyed this theatre.

They saw a girl walking around selling popcorn.  

They bought a large bag and found seats in the middle of the theatre.

*

We sat for a little while before the lights dimmed and the curtain rose.

We saw an older woman sitting in a rocking chair.  She sat a couple of minutes before we heard a young man singing. For the next 2 and 1/2 hours the small theatre cast butchered Oklahoma.

Anrai got excited as one of the actors walked onto the stage.

“Your brother?”

He nodded vigorously. His brother left the stage and emerged again moments later.  Anrai gasped.

“What is it?”

“His cheek, it’s bleeding.”

We sat painfully through the next couple hours, not able to wait until the play was over. We clapped for joy when the curtain closed for the last time and left the theater to stood in the lobby area.

"Wait here."

Jayda instructed us, then she made her way backstage.  

*