Chapter 18 | Part 2

“I’m so sorry, I thought they could help, but they’re only hurting you.  I promise that I’ll get you out of this.”

He began to work, taking the needles out of her arms and the pumping stopped.

All seemed silent.  Hayden pulled her arm up over his shoulder and picked her up, cradling her in his arms, and he began to make his way back down the stairs.

After taking the last stair, only stumbling once, Hayden carried Jayda out the front door and to the off road jeep he had taken the keys for.  

*

I buckled Jayda into the passenger seat and set out to do the most rebellious thing I ever had.

I knew that as soon as I turned the key in the ignition, there was no turning back.

I took a deep breath in. I knew what I was doing.

I turned the key and slammed on the gas, sending the jeep flying out of the village at record speed.

I drove through the forests, nobody seemed to be following us, that is until we made it to the crash site.

I almost hit the two men that jumped out in front of us. I slammed on the brakes and stopped just in time. I knew they wouldn't let us pass without a fight.

*

A sudden jerk pulled Jayda from her sleep as she fell forward in her seat.

Her eyes opened slowly, she was in the woods, Hayden was here. And two other men.

One of them approached her. She realized that this was her chance.

She could regain her strength if she could just bite him.

She remained dormant, but only until he was close enough.

Then she grabbed his head and his shoulder, wrenching them apart so she could get to his neck. 

*

I watched as Jayda killed one of the men that approached us.

The other man came up to me on the drivers side.

Only then did I realize that it was Anrai and Collin’s father who had followed us.

“Mr. Paulyin, I beg of you, let us pass.”

He looked up at me from where he stood, readying himself to climb into the jeep.

“You think I could betray your father? And you! How can you betray him like this?

“I am betraying no one! Please Mr. Paulyin, we will pass but one path ends in your demise!”

At that point Jayda had moved around the car and was behind the man who was attempting to keep us from leaving, she reached him and restrained his arms.

“Here’s the thing, I’m famous, if I go missing, people will know.  So you have to make a choice, either you let me go now, and I might let you live, or you all face the wrath of those who come to find me where they know my plane went down.  In which case, nobody lives.  It’s your call.”

The man tried to gain the upper hand with my mistress but it was fruitless. She held him steady.

“I will let you pass, just let me go!”

She held him a moment longer then shoved him in the direction he had come.  

He stumbled forward, turned to look at us, then began to run towards his home.

Jayda looked up at me with a scowl before she began to move away from me.

“Wait!”

She stopped.

“You won’t get far.  Please just get back in.”

She looked down in defeat, she knew I was right.  Before I realized it she was next to me in the vehicle.

“Drive.”

I slammed my foot on the gas and we began to again make  our way out of the forest.

We drove as fast as we could before we heard sounds behind us, more of the off road vehicles were following us, and they had the upper hand.

They knew where they were going.  I didn’t. I took a right, then another.

“You’re not getting us out of here!”

Her yell was barely heard over the sounds closing in on us.

“There are trees in the way!”

She breathed in slowly then reached her hand out in front of us, suddenly the trees began to move to clear a path for us, then closing behind us again.

I kept driving until we were finally out of the trees.

I drove to the outskirts of the city ahead of us then stopped the car. Jayda jumped out not looking at me, expecting me to turn around and leave.

“I’m coming with you.”

Her gaze turned to me, confused.

“I can’t let you go alone.”

“You’re not coming.”

I stepped down from the car and she began to back away from me.

“Please, just trust me.”

“Fine.”

*

The two ran into the city somewhere in Nebraska, and caught the next flight to Oregon, they sat together in silence the entire ride, both thinking about what had occurred the previous day.