13. Danny

I had sent Layla a text last night telling her that I'd be at her place first thing in the morning to talk about her horrid affair face to face, just like she wanted. She'd agreed because I guess she knew that things couldn't be on her terms right now because of what she was doing to me.

I could barely sleep last night, not only because I was drunk or because I was terrified about what details of her affair that Layla would reveal to me today, but mainly because of the way Ella had rejected me last night. Sure I had been drunk but I was hoping that Ella could see past that and realise that I felt this way about her whether I was drunk or sober. Thinking about my feelings for her made me become conscious of the fact that I wanted Ella to be my girlfriend, not Layla. This was why I didn't feel as bothered as I should have about Layla cheating on me, I didn't find it a problem that it meant our relationship was over but I found it a problem that I had been cheated on, it didn't matter who had cheated on me or what it meant for our relationship.

If I felt like this about Layla then our relationship was definitely messed up anyway. It had been 3 months and neither of us had fallen in love with each other yet, meanwhile I was falling for none other than my girlfriend's friend. Ella and I sounded like the ones who would have had the affair, not Layla and somebody else, but I guess it went to show that Ella and I were just the kind of normal, nice people who couldn't have an affair. None the less, Layla and I had definitely been a mistake if I was falling in love with her friend and if she was cheating on me.

I left for Layla's house, carrying a bag with all of her things that she had left at mine which, conveniently, wasn't too much.

When I knocked on her door, she let me inside in silence. I flung the bag of her stuff on the floor as she sat down on her sofa. I wasn't planning to stay long though, so I stood infront of her.

"So you're cheating on me then" I tell her bluntly, since she can't be bothered to outright say it herself

She sighed, looking at me "That's the thing Danny, if I said I was cheating on you then you'd think I was just sleeping with someone else in secret but it's more than that..." she trailed off. She seemed unnervingly calm about all of this, she wasn't kicking off and it was like she planned out exactly what to say

"If it's more than just sleeping with someone then it means whatever you're doing is even worse" I spat at her

"Sit down, Danny..."

"No! You aren't fucking telling me what to do when you're the one having an affair!"

"Maybe that's a better word for it" she told me, "I'm sorry I didn't tell you Danny, I was planning to but I didn't know how"

"Well you fucking sound like you've planned this conversation our perfectly so you do know how"

"It's not like that Danny!" she shouted at me, losing it and lashing out like she sometimes did, but it didn't have any effect on me anymore

"Oh no, Layla. You can't intimidate me with your anger anymore"

"I'm not trying to Danny, for christ's sake! I just don't want to say any of this because it makes me such a bad person!"

"Of course it does! What do you expect?"

She let out a frustrated grunt, putting her head in her hands as she thought of just the right words to use, "Let me explain this, please"

"I fucking am letting you explain this, Layla! Why do you think I'm here?! You don't even fucking deserve me letting you explain but I am!"

"I know, I know..." she sighed. This was probably the most empathetic I'd ever seen her be before, it was surprising to say the least, "Me and you, Danny. We both know there's always been something off about it" she started, looking back up at me, "I know you feel it too. It's like our first few dates were fun because they were just meaningless dates but as soon as we became a serious couple, I don't think it was meant to be at all"