Talks (First half)- Part 26

After I had finished eating, Christian and I decided to have our conversation in private, so we left the room and somehow ended up outside, in the grass field I got in from. It was a beautiful starry night, one of the most wonderful skies I have ever seen. We sat on the grass, and immediately regretted it. It was wet, dew, of course. And yet, we didn't get up. We stayed there, just looking up the sky, in silence. I was actually enjoying this. It was one of the most calming experiences. But it had to end, because I wasn't there for sightseeing, neither was he. We had an important conversation pending.

- So... - I spoke first.

- So?

- Start talking, Christian. I'm tired of mysteries.

- Mysteries?

- Aha. Just tell me more. About what happened after I left. In details, please.

A deep, loud, throaty sigh escaped his throat as he rubbed on his temples.

- You just don't want to give up, do you? - he was teasing me. I laugh.

- If I ever do, know that that day will be the end of the world.

He laughs.

- Okay. Hmmm... Where do I start?

- From the beginning.

- Well I already told you earlier about what is going on in town.

- Tell me... Tell me about my family.

God, I felt like I last saw them a century ago. How are they? How is Danny? Has he said his first word by now? Does he know about me? Or maybe he forgot about the sister whom he unknowingly convinced to leave? Christian must have noticed the sad look on my face, because then he says:

- Missing them?

- I just want to know.

- They... They are alright, in general. Your dad is making the impossible happen, trying to find you and take you home. Your mother is... Unhappy, I could say, the least. She spent the first days after you left crying. That's all I know. Later, like a week, I think, after you were gone, people saw her grocery shopping at the market. She looked alright. Ms. Dalesman tried to talk to her. She asked her about the weather, the high prices, tv shows, news, you know, daily stuff to talk about, she was careful not to mention your name or something that reminded her of you in any way. And, if I'm not mistaken, Ms. Dalesman told us: "I asked her about everything that's happened, everything except her daughter, - he says in a stupid voice, mocking Ms. Dalesman, a really annoying woman if I may add, - and all she did was hum!"

- Hum?

- Aha. And occasionally say "Yeah".

- My mother? But... But she never shuts up! I- I mean... She always loves to talk to people and brag and convince then to do as they say or gossip or just have small talks! My mother doesn't hum! She yells even when she sings in the showers! I've never heard her "hum", - well it's true. It seemed confusing.

- Well, she changed. People often do so, even without them knowing. It's not her fault really. After all, she loved you- She still does- but she thinks you're dead. It's the most excruciating pain a parent can go through: the death of their own child before them. It's against the laws of nature, for the youngest to die before the elderly. Therefore, your "death" has been implanted in her brain as a fact, so now she acts like it's true. I've... I've tried to keep her hopes up, to make her somehow believe you'll be back, and that you're not dead, but it's impossible. She's convinced on the otherwise. While your dad, well, I already told you.