Book 1: Chapter 1

Kate's POV

April 21, 2023 (Eight years later)

"Kate, are you sure you have everything?" my mom asks for the hundredth time this morning.

I nod my head. "Don't worry. I've got everything I need right in here," I reply, patting the trunk.

"We love you. Have a great time," my dad tells me.

"I guess I love you guys too," I joke.

After spending eight years in Los Angeles, I'm finally moving back home to San Francisco. So much has happened since I first came out here.

I had finished high school and found myself at UCLA.

As for Nick, Daniel and Olivia, I haven't spoken to any of them since graduation. I tried reaching out to them, but for some reason they kept pushing me away. They'd never call me back or reply to my text messages. Eventually, I just gave up.

So much for promises.

Aside from that, I also have good news. My older brother Cameron got married two summers ago to his girlfriend Amber. I met her brother at the wedding, and the two of us instantly became close. I guess you could say he's my new best friend.

Which leads me here: moving back home, leaving my family and friends- ready for a new beginning.

My dad gets my bags out of the car and walks inside the airport with me. "I'm going to miss you," he tells me and kisses my forehead.

"I'll miss you too. Take good care of mom," I say as I see her crying in the car.

"Anything for you, princess. Call me when you land."

I watch as the two of them drive off, a single tear falling down my cheek. Once they're out of sight, I make my way over to Gate 21 and plop onto a chair. I sigh, exhausted from the chaos around the house this morning, and pull my phone out from my bag.

"Tough day?" someone asks and sits next to me. I look over to see a guy around my age.

"Yeah. I'm moving back to San Francisco, and my mom is freaking out," I tell him with a laugh.

He smiles at me. "That's where I'm from. I'm Nick Howard," he says, introducing himself.

"Kate Mitchell. It's nice to meet you."

Nick chuckles. "I thought you looked a bit familiar. We went to grammar school, right?"

I take a better look at him and mentally slap myself for not recognizing his name. "Who would've thought that on my first day back I'd see one of my classmates! How'd you recognize me?"

He smirks. "How could I forget you? You were my best friend's girl."

My eyes widen. "Daniel Mayer? I haven't seen him in forever. Are you guys still close?"

"We're living together."

"Wow," I say amazed. "After all these years, you guys still stayed in touch. That's really nice." Nick smiles at me, and I notice how handsome he is.

With curly brown hair tucked behind his ears, bright blue eyes, tanned skin, and dimples, Nick Howard is one attractive man.

"Flight 21 to San Francisco is now boarding," the flight attendant announces. We grab our bags and find a seat.

Nick turns toward me. "You should come with me."

"What?" I ask.

"You heard me. Why don't you come to our house with us? You can stay for awhile or maybe even-"

"I have my own place but thanks for offering," I interrupt.

He nods his head. "Okay. Well maybe you can stop by sometime. I'm sure Daniel would like to see you."

I roll my eyes. "Of course he would," I joke.

If Daniel really did, things would be different. And I mean, a lot different. Ever since I moved away, it was as if he wanted nothing to do with me. He pushed me out of his life as if I were a penniless piggy bank: worthless and disappointing.

Truth be told, Daniel, Nick and Olivia really hurt me. So-called best friends don't change their numbers and unfriend you on their Instagram accounts.

.

"It was great seeing you again," I tell Nick as we grab our bags from the luggage claim.

He flashes a smile. "You too. Give me a call once you're settled in, okay?"

I nod my head and give him a hug. "I better get going cause my cab is here. See you around."

Little did I know, I'd be seeing him a lot sooner than expected.

.

"Oh my god," I breath as I walk through the front door to my house.

I bring my bags inside and look around. I have no words- it is gorgeous. This place is nothing compared to what I was expecting.

Excited, I immediately begin to unpack all of the items I had with me. Since my furniture was brought over earlier on, I didn't have as much work to do.

Time flew by and before I knew it, everything was put away. I sit down on my couch and close my eyes, taking a quick rest. I jump in the air as my cellphone rings and answer it.

"Hey, Nick. What's going on?" I yawn.

I hear a door slam and listen to him yelling at someone. "Sorry about that. Nothing much, really. We have a new neighbor."

"Have you met them yet?"

I hear him walking, his faint footsteps hitting the sidewalk. "I'm about to."

Just as I'm going to sit, there's a knock at the door. I stand up and walk toward it. "Just give me one second," I tell him and put the phone down.

"Hello," I say, opening the door. The person looks up at me, and my eyes widen. "Nick?" I put the phone up to my ear. "Nick, there's a guy standing right outside of my house that looks exactly like you."

He chuckles and hangs up on me. "Rude," I mumble.

"Kate, you live here?" I nod my head. "I'm your next door neighbor," he says.

"Darn," I joke with him, although I couldn't be any happier.

"You should come over and see Daniel."

"Oh," I say, scratching my head. "I still have to uh, unpack."

It was the lamest excuse I could've possibly come up with. Honestly, I'd rather stay locked up inside of my house than face someone who shut me out of their life with no explanation given and apparently, not needed either.

Nick sighs. "Are you free tonight?" I nod my head in response, and he smiles, making my heart flutter. "Good. I'll see you at our house at six."

Before I can get a word out, he shuts the door in my face, leaving me to think about how I got into this horrible situation.