Chapter 4

After picking her up at the house, Daniel decided to take Kate somewhere special. It was a place they had spent most of their childhood: the park. Kate had loved it when they were younger; he could only hope that she still did.

Daniel realized it was romantic and cheesy, but he also knew that Kate would appreciate the effort he put in.

A picnic set up, bright golden lights hanging from the branches, and the sound of the crickets chirping, nothing could make this night any better.

"Daniel," Kate gasps once she sees the beautiful scenery before her. "This is so sweet."

He takes her hand and helps her over the rocks and fallen tree branches. They safely make it over and plop down on the blanket.

"You know," Kate begins. "I never thought I would see you again. I mean, eight years is an awful long time. Anything could have happened."

Daniel nods his head in agreement. "I thought the exact same thing, but look where we are now. We're together again, Kate. That must mean something."

She bites her lip. "You have to realize that I put in a lot of work and effort to move out here and get this job. I need to know the answer for what I am about to ask you. If we were to take this relationship any further, how would it affect my job?"

Daniel looks at her and sighs. "I guess I didn't really think about that. We would still be professional. I mean, we're responsible adults now."

"Well I am," Kate jokes. "But I'll support whatever you would like to believe in that crazy little head of yours."

"Okay," he smirks. "I believe you will say yes to the next question I ask you."

"Oh. So you're a psychic now? Let's find out."

"Challenge accepted. Kate Rose Mitchell, will you be my girlfriend?"

Her eyes widen, and she takes a deep breath to calm herself. She had all of these feelings and emotions running inside her, but had no idea what half of them were or meant.

"Daniel, I- I like you. I really, really do but something is stopping me. We're working together now. I mean, you're my boss- the guy that's in charge of my paycheck and determines whether or not I'll have a job the next day.

"I need to focus on myself right now. I don't want rumors about me being spread throughout the company; I don't want people making any false statements; and most importantly, I don't want people to hate me because of my relationship with you.

"I just moved here a little over a week ago and am still trying to get situated. Do I like you? Of course. Do I hope that you'll give me another chance when I'm ready? I'll pray every night.

"You're a really great guy but I don't want you to wait around for me. Meet new people, try different things. If you find someone else, then they're really lucky."

Daniel looks down, and Kate kisses his cheek. "That really hurt," he tells her, letting out a small chuckle. "But thank you for being honest. Maybe we can give us a shot later on."

She nods her head, a tear falling down her cheek. "I'd like that."

.

"What?" she yells. "No, no, no! She was supposed to say yes, and then everything would be perfect."

"I thought she liked him," the youngest brother replies.

The oldest nods his head. "Me too. I'm so confused."

"Why don't we take a quick water break and then continue the story?" The children nod their heads and quickly run to the kitchen.

"We're back!" they yell in unison.

.

After Daniel dropped Kate off at home, she found herself crying on her living room couch. She loves Daniel but is too scared of what would come out of it.

Would their parents approve of them?

If they broke up, would he fire her?

Would Ms. London and the other employees hate her?

There were so many questions with several different answers. A random one could be picked at any time, and she wouldn't even see it coming. It would be a total blindside.

Meanwhile back at Daniel's house, the young man is hurt and upset emotionally. Daniel really likes Kate but thinks that she might have broken his heart for revenge when he lost contact with her eight years ago. Although it may be a possibility, he knows it's not true. Kate is too good of a person.

Which is why he likes her.

Which is why he's okay with her rejecting him.

Which is why his life is being messed with right now.