Book 2: Chapter 1

You asked for it, you got it! This is the first chapter for the continuation of this book.

.

.

.

.

"Tell us a story," they all beg.

"Fine," I sigh. "Promise you'll go to bed after?"

They nod their heads yes, and I sit at the edge of the littlest one's bed.

"Okay. This is how it all started . . . "

.

April 28, 2023 (1 week later)

"Yes, mom. I'm doing great," Kate tells her mother over the phone as she pours herself a cup of coffee. "No, I'm not nervous."

After a week of settling in, Kate is finally starting her first day of work. Kate's morning was going fairly well. Her hair was curled, her makeup was done, and she was dressed in a fitted black dress with a matching pair of heels. All was great until her mom called.

"Don't be nervous for your first day. You'll be a great assistant for the boss of the company. Just be yourself . . . Wait. I change my mind-"

"It's six in the morning. Go back to sleep, mom. I'll be fine," she assures her.

Mrs. Mitchell sighs on the other end. "I love you."

"Love you too. Goodbye." Kate hangs up the phone and smiles. After finishing her coffee, she grabs her purse and walks out the front door, ready for her first day on the job.

.

The business company wasn't too far from her house, making the commute over not very long.

After passing through security and showing them her ID, Kate parks her car in the lot. She puts her sunglasses on, fixes her purse over her shoulder, and steps out into the warm, sunny atmosphere.

"Good morning, Ms. Mitchell," a lady says as she passes by. "I'm Ms. London, your boss's advisor. This way, please." Kate locks her car and follows her into the gorgeous building.

Security once again checks their IDs and then let's them through. "Would you like a muffin?" Ms. London asks and points to a man carrying a basket of pastries.

"No thank you," Kate replies.

They walk to the elevators, and she presses the up button with one of her long gold-painted fingernails.

"Mr. Smith is a great boss," she informs Kate. "I can assure you that he's the best one I've ever had."

The doors open, and they step inside. Ms. London presses the number twenty-two, and Kate sees that there are nearly thirty floors in the building.

They stop at floor fourteen, and a young man whose back is turned, joins them.

"As I was saying, Ms. Mitchell, you will have a wonderful time here at the company."

The man turns around, and Kate's eyes widen once she sees who it is.

"You never called me," Daniel, the handsome young man she met at the airport a week earlier, smiles.