Final Results

Sehun P.O.V

We needed to win this, whatever it took. It didn't matter if Xiumin's team had passed, they could be beaten any second and we need all extra chances we had. So when Ji-Min gave us the talk beforehand, we were ready to do out best. Even Chanyeol and Baekhyun who only got serious if someone had died, were more focused than I had ever seen them.

And then Tao was out in the water. The time flew - it was a split second from when Ji-Min stopped talking to when she wished us good luck, before the sound of a whistle was heard and he dived into the water. I didn't even look around to see how our team was doing in comparison to the others. We needed to do our best regardless of how the results halfway were.

Then Tao was finished, and Chanyeol kicked out from the wall. His turn was timed perfectly. I was happy; we had used a lot of time getting that one perfect. Chanyeol always forgot when to do it, and crashed into the wall so many times headfirst it was a wonder he hadn't gotten bigger injuries and had been to hospital.

Chanyeol hit the wall so hard water splashed up, just as Luhan left the ground and met the water.

"No matter if Luhan is good, you need to do your best, Sehun," Ji-Min murmured under her breath. Even at those small words I felt really uplifted and even more set on winning, and as Luhan neared me I took a deep breath, looking down at the water beneath me. I could do this. I knew I could.

I don't really know what happened next. Suddenly Luhan had touched the wall and finished his lap, and I had kicked off of the ground almost like a reflex. The water felt familiar as I pushed through it by now, after so many hours in the pool. The turn went smoothly, and before I knew it I felt the hard surface of the light blue tiles. It was just now that I really realized how hard I was breathing, how tired my muscles felt. I used a couple of seconds to regain my breath, before screaming –which had only been background noise until then – finally infiltrated my ears. It was high-pitched, and I recognized it immediately. It was Ji-Min, no doubt.

I got up and out of the pool, and was met with celebration. "Sehun, you did it!" Ji-Min smiled. Behind her Chanyeol and Baekhyun were doing a celebratory dance around Kyungsoo, who looked both really happy and like he could kill someone any second at the same time.

I furred my eyebrows, looked around me confused. "Wait, what?" I asked.

Ji-Min rolled her eyes. "We won the heat, of course! We were lagging three seconds behind, but you managed to catch up and we won with another two seconds to spare!"

But that meant we had progressed to the next round. And I was the cause for that. I was only used to being the cause when something went horribly wrong, so this was certainly new.

Luhan slung an arm around my shoulder, sniffling. "You know," he hiccupped. "I always thought you'd never get anything out of life, being you know, you. But you made us win. You made me proud, Sehun. I'm not sure you'll ever do that again, but dude, you're kinda cool right now so use it before it leaves again,"

"...Thanks?"

Beside him Xiumin rolled his eyes, getting Luhan off of me. He apologized and said something about Luhan being on his way down from the sugar-high of the four energy drinks he had downed, and I nodded understandingly. Luhan always got emotional then.

The next heats went in a blur. I noticed that BTS also passed with flying colours, and we crept up the ranks. We went through two more heats, in which Luhan's team got beaten by some team called VIXX in the second round. And in the end, we were in the final. I had given everything in all of the heats, and I was really starting to feel it now. I had never been an athlete, and the strange cheer BTS had come up with felt really relatable now.