Chapter Four

Two years later, Seraphina was sixteen and Maya had just turned seventeen in June. The high school's homecoming dance was that night and they were juniors. The homecoming dance theme was 'starry night masquerade'. Everyone had to wear masks, dresses, and tuxedos. Maya and Seraphina had permission from both of their parents to drive into the city to buy their dresses. It was forty-five minutes away from New Haven. Klaus asked if he could go, but Maya said they wanted to experience the city without their parents. Klaus reminded her that he wasn't her parent, but Maya quickly retorted that they didn't need a chaperone.

I was going with them no matter what. For once, Klaus was forced into being invisible if he wanted to go. We actually had no desire on spying or chaperoning them. We wanted to go because we genuinely wanted to watch them choose their dresses. However, John Ethan was pleased we were accompanying them into the city. He made sure to occupy them while we snuck into the back seat of the Tahoe. We were invisible and I could tell Klaus wasn't happy about that. He wasn't used to remaining anonymous. We could talk to each other without the girls hearing, but I knew Klaus wanted to comment on their conversations. Thankfully, he didn't. Instead, we listened intently and then chatted together about their conversations.

Phina was driving and had just pulled out onto the high way. It was a straight shoot to the city which had more shops and boutiques than New Haven.

"So what type of dress do you want?" Phina asked.

Maya considered this for a second then replied, "Something knee length with a poufy, ballerina skirt."

Phina turned up the radio and tapped her fingers on the steering wheel, "That sounds pretty. What color of dress?"

"Well, pink is my favorite color, but I've been wearing a lot of bright oranges and reds. So, maybe a bright pink or yellow dress." Maya decided.

"But what about a princess dress?" Phina suggested. "I want a ball gown."

Maya snorted, "Why the hell would I want a princess dress? I'm definitely not a damn princess."

They laughed together. Klaus' mouth was set in a hard line. He wasn't very happy about that.

He sighed, "Sometimes I think we should have buried Robert six feet under. Maya's so different now."

"She still has years to mature." I tried to reassure him. "She'll grow up more."

"Who are you taking to home coming? I swear, every boy at school has asked you." Maya rolled her eyes.

Phina frowned, "Not everyone...Devin asked me, though."

"You have your pick of the boys and you choose Devin?" Maya cocked her head to the side. "I mean, he's cute, but not dreamy or sexy like Ian."

"Ian's a jerk, Maya." She snapped. "Stay away from him."

Maya held her hands up, "Okay, damn! I was just saying, Ice Queen."

Phina sighed, "I don't know if I'll go with anyone. Yeah, there are a lot of cute boys at school, but none that have really caught my eye."

Maya's voice was softer, "Phi, what are you waiting for? Guys from The Notebook do not exist or at least, not here. You're going to have to settle one of these days."

"She won't settle." I muttered.

"She deserves the best," Klaus agreed.

"What about you? Who are you going with, missy?" Phina teased.

Maya grinned like a little girl and shrugged, "I don't know yet."

Phina's eyebrow rose, "I don't think so, Maya. Spill it; I know you have something up your sleeve."