Chapter Seven

"Let me get this straight," John Ethan sighed. "You're saying that my daughter is some harbinger of the world and you're supposed to lead her?"

"No," I exhaled. "There are rumors that she's important for the end of the world."

"Look, no one really knows what her purpose is." Klaus tried to ease his fears. He lifted another big box packed with Seraphina's belongings and set it down in the U-Haul truck.

Lucy Rook walked out of the front door carrying a tray with three glasses of lemonade on it. I grinned in anticipation. It was nice being visible to everyone. I was a regular human wearing a gray tank top and jeans, sweating in the God-awful humidity as I carried boxes from the house to the U-Haul. Or at least, that's what the neighborhood people thought. I wiped my brow and grabbed a glass from the tray.

"Thanks, Luce." I replied happily.

"You're very welcome, Cael." She said kindheartedly. Lucy had come to adore me these past few months. She fully accepted what I was and encouraged me to win her daughter's love. I overheard her whispering with John Ethan one night about how I would be the perfect fit for their daughter. She seemed to understand my heart and character better than most. She knew I wasn't a threat to her family or to Seraphina. I was the son she never had. And Klaus was the very annoying brother she never wanted, but welcomed with open arms as well.

Eventually, Cassie let go of her crush on Klaus once she realized that she had no real feelings for him. It was merely infatuation over his good looks. She was now pining away after immortal angels. Apparently, humans didn't appeal to her anymore. She had her mind set on marrying an immortal this time. It seemed the charm of our immortality, devilish good looks, and pure intentions were alluring to Cassie. She started begging Klaus for his angel friend's numbers, but he wasn't surrendering.

"Where did the girls go? They've been gone all morning." Klaus asked Lucy.

"They went shopping for school supplies and clothes." She huffed and whisked back into the house.

I frowned, "What was that about?"

"Since Phina was accepted to the University of New Orleans, she's wanted to do everything on her own. Luce is upset because she wanted to go with them to help them shop, but Phina said no." John Ethan sighed.

"That must be hard for you guys." I noted.

"Nah, not for me. She's not far from home. Plus, I know she'll be in good hands." He smiled.

It wasn't just Phina who was moving away, I would be leaving with her. It's what I had done for generations; choose which of the offspring to follow and then guide them through their life. Usually it was an easy decision. I wasn't normally this attached to a family. I could always fly back to see them since my wings were faster than driving. But there was a distant gloom behind everyone's eyes. They weren't just letting their daughter go; they were losing a friend, a brother, and a son. This was extremely difficult for me. I was torn between staying with the family I had grown to love and the young woman whose heart sang to mine. At the end of the day, she was my first concern. Thus, I would follow her to the ends of the earth if need be. I was her guardian angel after all, even if I was a Fallen.

While the girls were gone, we were going to drive to New Orleans and unload the boxes in the beach house. We put a few more into the U-Haul and squished in the front seat. It could seat three, but we were all muscular, tall men so it was a tight squeeze. Cassie and Luce were following behind us in the Tahoe. It was amazing just how much stuff one seventeen year old girl could own, not to mention the furniture given to her by her parents and Cassie. Cassie's furniture was all stylish, high dollar pieces.