Chapter 14: Kade

"So tell me Alex. Is something wrong here?" I asked.
"Well I don't know," Alex said.
"What do you mean? The Slayers are having my ass about this;" I said.
"Well it does seem like some people are disappearing," he said.
"Haven't you done any investigation?" I asked.
"I have but it feels like they leave no trail behind. It's almost impossible and it's getting on my nerves!" He exclaimed, racking a hand through his hair.
"Do you mind if I talked to the families of the onces that disappeared?" I asked.
"Be my guest though I did question them on my own level," he said.
"I would like to speak to all of them personally," I said.
"I heard you found your mate?" He asked, making me freeze.
"Hoe do you know?" I asked, frowning.
"Well news like this travels fast man," Alex said.
"It's Xander's daughter from the Dreary pack," I said, there was no point in denying.
"Oh wow. You landed yourself a tough mate dude," he said, chuckling.
"I am not ready for one," I said.
"Too late," he said, laughing again.
"Can you call the families? I need to get back to my pack," I said.
"Of course," he nodded.

His eyes turned glassy and I knew that he must be mindlinking them all. A total of 10 people had disappeared and their families were in a worried state of mind. Their scent disappeared after a while leaving nothing behind. The first family to walk in was Grahams.

An older women of thirty who looked worn out and tired along with three children.

"Mrs. Graham?" I asked, looking at the file in front of me.
"Yes," she nodded.
"You might want to sit down," I said.

The women looked at her three children the youngest looked about to be five. After interrogation I sighed as I looked at all my notes.

"What is it?" Alex asked.
"People are not disappearing," I finally spoke.
"Huh? What do you mean?" He asked.
"They are going somewhere," I said.
"How can you say that?" He asked.
"Well as our history goes, when a mate dies, the other half can't live without them. Right?" I asked.
"Right," he nodded
"Well none of the families I talked to seemed distraught. They were normal," I said.
"Well I didn't notice it before. What do you thinkI should do?" He asked.
"Keep a watch on them. For some reason I don't believe a word they said," I said, standing up.
"I will do that. Are you leaving?" Alex asked, standing up.
"Yes. I need to be at my pack by night. Xavier's daughter has arrived," I said.
"Thanks man. I have been worrying my ass over this," he said, thumping my shoulder.
"If you feel anything suspicious just call me or the Slayers," I said.
"Will do. You should stay for dinner," he said.
"I better go Alex. Maybe next time," I said, giving him a small smile.

Alex followed me to the front door where my driver was already waiting and I got in the car for another long drive. It was around 9pm when I got to my pack and my stomach was growling for food and I was tired. I just wanted to sleep and think about problems the next day.

"You want dinner?" Julia asked.
"Yeah. I am starved," I told her, stretching my body.
"Kade! You are back!" Paisley ran towards me and hugged me without giving me a chance.

The few pack members that were in the rom looked over curiously.

"Not now Paisley. I am tired and hungry," I said, pulling her away from my body.
"I missed you so much! I was so bored all day!" Paisley exclaimed, moving back and pushing a strand of her blonde hair behind her ear.

Damien purred at the feel but I just hushed him.

"Zoey cooked a fabulous dinner. We already had ours. She cooked even for you in case you came early. Why don't you freshen up and I will warm the dinner?" Julia asked.
"Of course," I said.

I started up the stairs with Paisley behind me.

"Why did you give me a separate room?" Paisley asked.

I pinched my nose to keep myself from retorting.

"I thought you woulf d want your privacy," I said.
"Well I thught mates shared a room together," she said.
"Paisly we need to get to know each other first. And I need the pack's approval for this," I told her.
"What! We are mates! We don't need anybody's approval!" She exclaimed, annoyed.
"For now you are a guest in my pack do behave like one. Your father is a good man and I don't want to upset him," I said.
"Well if he's a good man then you need to accept me," she said.
"Paisley I am tired right now and I don't want to be disturbed. I will speak to you in the morning,"I said.
"Fine!"

Paisley turned around and walked away leaving me sighing. Damien was giving me double signals. One second he wanted Paisley around him and the next second he wanted nothing to do with her.

You are giving me a headache you know, I told Damien.
Well I am doing this for a reason, he said.
What reason? I asked.
To make the right choice, he said.
You don't think I am capable of making the right choice? I huffed.
No but I want you to understand your true feelings without being pressurized. Just let go, he said.
When did you become so wise? I asked.
Very funny, Damien huffed.

I still wasn't sure what his game was as I changed into a pair of comfy clothes. As I walked out of my room I had rhe sudden urge to see Zoey. I had not seen her since morning and wanted to see her smiling green eyes. Deciding against my wishes I just walked downstairs to the kitchen where Julia was waiting for me with dinner.

So here's the next update! How did you like it? What is Damien's thinking? Where are the people disappearing off too? Is it just an act?

Please vote and comment. Yout feedback is highly appreciated!🤗❤

Chocolate-Lover93