Chapter 3 - What Is This Feeling?

Karai hadn't left my mind for one second since that night. It was like she was a little fly constantly buzzing by my ear. Except this fly, I didn't have the urge to swat...

Seven O'Clock in the morning, the day after I found out Karai was related to Shredder; and I feel sick.

My mind is in two places. On the hand, I'm tempted to stay close to Karai in order to gain information; and on the other hand I'm scared to go near her. But, on the other other hand I have this weird feeling in the pit of my stomach, and I can't shake her face out of my head.

What's happening to me? Am I going crazy?

There's only one person I know who can help me. April.

...

After patrol, I disappear towards April's apartment and tap on her window. Hopefully she's home.

A few seconds later, a very sleepy looking April comes to the window, rubbing her eyes. Her bright red hair is tied in a loose ponytail and she's wearing a yellow and white spotted pyjama set. She opens the window and yawns.

"Leo?" She says. "Do you have any idea what time it is?"

"I need your help." I say. She looks at me, before noticing the look in my eyes, knowing that I'm serious. She lets me in and I sit on her bed. "I think I'm going crazy or that I'm sick or something."

She sits beside me. "What do you mean?"

I sigh deeply and face her straight on. "I met this girl a few weeks ago," I begin.

April suddenly widens her eyes and holds me by the shoulders. "TELL ME EVERYHTING!"

I continue. "I met this girl a few weeks ago, and she's a martial artist..." April nods as I rattle off information about Karai. It feels good to finally tell someone about her. "She's got an interesting sense of humour..." I take a deep breath. "...and she's Shredder's daughter." I brace for the impact.

April stares at me blankly for a moment, before hitting me on the head with a nearby magazine. "Are you insane?!" She scolds.

"But she's--"

"Shredder's daughter!" She cuts me off.

"Yes, but--"

"She's. Shredder's. Daughter."

"I know! But she isn't--"

"Are you listening to me, Leonardo?!" She hisses. "She's spawn of Shredder! Flesh and blood! Bad news!"

"Listen to me!" I snap, suddenly making April shut up. "She's not as bad as she sounds."

"Did you not hear what I just said?" April scolds again.

"She's cool." I reply. "She's not as hellbent on killing as he is."

"Maybe that's her plan!" April replies. "Lure you into a false sense of security, and then... BAM! You're dead!"

"Oh please," I scoff. "This isn't a James Bond movie!"

She sighs. "I'm not changing your mind about her, am I?"

I shake my head. "You'll have to try a lot harder to get through to me than that."

She shrugs her shoulders. "So what's this girls name? Maybe I can at least keep an eye on her."

"Karai." I reply. Her name still makes my heart aflutter. I slam my plastron in an attempt to calm it.

April looks up. "You okay there, King Kong?" She giggles.

"I don't know what's wrong with me!" I say. "Every time I think of her, I get this weird feeling..."

"Awwwww!" April says, putting both hands together and intertwining her fingers. "Leo! You've got a crush!"

"I do not!" I suddenly blurt out

"That's soooooo cute!" She says. "You like Karai!"

"I do not like Karai." I reply bluntly.

"It's written all over your face!" She says, a huge smile spreading across her face. "That's just adorable!"

I roll my eyes. "April, focus on the plan. Keeping an eye out for Karai..."

"If I see her, I'll tell her you say 'hi'." She giggles.

I stand up from her bed and head towards the window. I turn around. "April?" I say. She looks up.

"Yeah?"

"Thanks." I reply.

"For what?" She asks.

"For being a good friend." She beams at me as I disappear out the window and towards the sewers.

Not once does my mind waver from thinking about Karai. Maybe I do like her? But I can't! She's the enemy!

...how do you love something that's so forbidden?