Chapter 28

Chapter 28

'Where have you been?!' Katrina snaps once we are buzzed back into ICU. 'You have seriously concerning health at the minute Kimberley! You need to stay here, where we can monitor you and look after you if anything goes wrong.'

'You're being a little dramatic aren't you?' Kimberley grumbles, probably thinking she won't hear her.

'Kimberley!' I scold, 'she's right, we shouldn't have left.'

'Why did you help me leave then?' she challenges, looking up at me with narrowed eyes.

'Look, it doesn't matter now' the doctor interrupts, more calm than earlier as we approach our room, 'We need to start your blood transfusion'

I see she has already set everything up for the transfusion on the table. Not wanting to get any deeper into her bad books than we already are, I wheel Kimberley over to the bed. Helping her out and onto the bed, I take the blanket once more and throw it over her. Receiving a small, apologetic smile from her as I tuck her in.

Katrina has continued to set everything up whilst I did this. Having took the IV drip off Kimberley, she is now attaching a bag of blood, and I can't help but cringe at the sight of it, Kimberley clearly sees this as she smirks at me.

'Why did you leave?' Katrina asks curiously as she checks the IV is still properly inserted in Kimberley's arm, before allowing the blood to travel through it.

'I wanted to see my son' Kimberley speaks harshly, as if the doctor is an idiot for not knowing where we went. But Katrina's expression softens none-the-less as she glances towards us.

'She's been having chest pains' I inform her, widening my eyes at Kimberley, warning her and willing her to drop the unnecessary attitude.

After all, she is only trying to think about what's best for her.

'Well that is a common symptom of your shock. But all the same, I will organise for you to have an endoscopy, just to be sure.' She smiles, turning her attention to Kimberley and helping me to lift her onto the bed, 'and as for your son, I can speak to your midwife and see if he is okay to come here, until you can move into maternity.'

'You can do that?' Kimberley asks hopefully, lifting her head up to look at her, for the first time since we've got back.

'Of course' she nods her head, 'I'll go and speak to your midwife to see if it can be arranged and if all goes well he will be here by the time you have had your endoscopy.'

'Thank you' Kimberley beams, her eyes filling up as she expresses her gratitude, 'Thank you so much'

'It's not a problem' Katrina smiles, 'The doctor will be in shortly for your endoscopy.'

'Will I have to leave?' I ask.

'No I don't think so' she frowns, 'You should be fine to sit in while she has it done.'

We thank her again and she leaves. Roughly ten minutes later, the doctor from earlier walks in with a smile.

'The wanderer returns I see' she chuckles, earning a slight blush off Kimberley, 'is it okay if I sedate you before your endoscopy? It's just to make you feel more relaxed during the procedure, it can be quite uncomfortable otherwise.'

Kimberley looks at me for advise, before agreeing to the sedative. With that, the doctor pull out a needle, and injects it into her arm. At least I'm assuming that's what happened, seen as I had to look away. I can't stand needles.

'I'm just going to spray this to numb your throat, okay?' I turn back, just in time to see Kimberley nod and open her mouth, allowing the doctor to spray two shots into her mouth. 'The sedative shouldn't take too long to take over so I'll just set up the equipment and you should be ready.'