8. Weaknesses Kill

"I can't believe you were invited to Buckingham palace, I mean even the most powerful people aren't allowed inside." Valetina beamed like a little kid in a sweet shop.
"I've been here before; Mycroft wanted me to investigate Irene Adler. John was there and I was in a sheet." Sherlock Holmes said coolly, gazing out of the window.
"Not surprised I've seen the 'women's' photos, I guess the queen would be humiliated if that image got out." Swansea murmured she glanced at the people walking into the town. Normal people. They didn't need to fear revenge from spies or assassins.

The pair of sociopaths were travelling to the palace in a private black car. Mycroft had called his brother at 4'o clock that morning, saying he needed his help. Not Valetina's. However Sherlock Holmes didn't want to leave her alone. Roxy was helping Mary with the new baby whilst John was at work.

"I can't wait to see Mycroft's face when you come through that door," Sherlock smirked. The detective noticed the assassin's sour look. "What's wrong? You look like you've seen a ghost."
"Sherlock, I have a bad feeling, and I'm never wrong when I get my feeling for trouble."
"Yeah and it always got you in too trouble if I remember correctly. I still remember when you were 12 and it was your first proper mission and you got a bad feeling and you stopped the whole mission and saved hundreds of lives in that burning house."

"Whatever" Valetina dismissed him with a wave of her hand, Sherlock muttered something she didn't hear. But it sounded like 'Stubborn Witch.' The rest of the journey was spent in silence.

-The detective vs. The Assassin-

"I wish you rot in hell, Mr Holmes." Valetina cried.
"Oh for the love of God, Miss Swansea do calm yourself you are in the Queen's Home." Mycroft said, running a hand through his hair.
"Fine. I'll calm myself. There better." The black haired girl crossed her arms over her chest. "But you should have known I would act like this."
"I did, that's why I didn't ask you here I asked my dear and stupid over there." The tall man pointed at the smirking detective.

"Fine, I'll do it but I'm not happy about. It's one item, does it matter that much?" Valetina threw up her hands.
"Because it is important to the royal family. If that necklace gets into the wrong hands it would be disastrous, it was a gift from the Russian president. If they discover it's lost it could mean war." Mycroft explained, he was a teacher teaching a stupid kid.
"I'm not an idiot Mycroft, stop treating me like one." The assassin drummed her fingers on the table. "And you're sure this kid stole it?"

"Positive. She was here on tour and because she was young the guards paid no attention. She was last seen in china town we lost her there."
Valetina signed "And if she does have the Red Volcano what I am to do. Kill her? I won't do it if that's the case."

"No, just arrest her and bring back the Ruby, okay. And only of you have to, kill the girl."
"You're a cold man, you know that." Valetina said angrily, hitting Sherlock's shoulder.
"Just go." Mycroft didn't disagree with her statement.

Valetina roughly grabbed her bag, glaring daggers at one of the most important people in the country. She gripped her partner's shirt and pulled him out of the room.
"Why did I ever send her to America? She would still be an innocent girl with no blood on her hands. Maybe I would be an Uncle, if I had let her and Sherlock connect."

-The detective vs. The Assassin-

Running. That's what they were doing. Flying through China town, trying to find a girl who matched the description Mycroft had given them. "She's a ginger; we should be able to see her." Valetina breathed. "I suggest we slit up."
"Good idea, call if you find anything." Sherlock ran off to the right and Val to the left.

Valetina walked around for a few lone hours. Sometimes she caught a glimpse of ginger hair, but it had been a false alarm. So instead of losing her mind over this, she decided to look at the shops.

"Hello, and welcome to Chi Tang's pendants and Jewels. How can I help you?"
Valetina turned slowly, she knew what was coming. The shop keeper gasped and crossed her heart. "Oh my..."
"Please, I'm not here to hurt you. I'm looking for a child, you see she is my niece and she's gone missing. Witnesses said she passed through here, maybe you've seen her." The assassin lied and showed the Chinese woman the photo.

The photo showed a young ginger haired girl, around about 12. She was thin and medium height.

"Sorry I haven't. Though she is a pretty kid, whose is she?" The woman asked curiously.
"My sister's. I do what I do to keep her safe." Val replied sadly. "My niece loves jewellery maybe I could buy her something."

Valetina glanced at the merchandise, she spotted an ivory pendent. Carved on to the ivory were Chinese words. Even though Val was bad at Chinese she knew what the necklace said. "Alone but Loved."

The shop keeper noticed the other woman's stare. She picked it up and handed it to the customer. "Good choice, this means 'alone but loved.' Some think it is a sad saying but I find it reassuring that even if I am alone in the world I still have people who love me."

Valetina thanked the women, paid for the necklace and left the shop. The town was busy now, many shopper greeting each other. It was so loud that Valetina Swansea could hardly hear her phone ringing in her hand bag.

Sherlock.

Of course he was calling. Who else would it be? Val quickly answered. "What is it Sherlock?"
"I found the girl, Near Dragon Street, Val you better here quick. Like Now."

Valetina didn't need to be told twice, she took off in a run, galloping through the crowds of people. It was lucky that Val saw Sherlock so soon. He was standing in an alley, his back turned away from Val, standing tall.

"Val is that you?" his voice shook. Swansea moved towards him, he had his gun in his hand. He was shaking and the pistol fell to the ground. Valetina gasped and ran to the girl. She was on the floor, clutching her chest wound. She looked so innocent and vulnerable.

"My god, Sherlock you shot her." Valetina cradled the girl's head in her lap and began to stroke her dried blood covered hair. Valetina cried tears. "I spent my life protecting children and you kill one of them."

"I'm so sorry, I..." Sherlock was actually crying tears.
"Stop." The child whispered. "Please, it was my own fault I shouldn't have stolen this." Her hands shacked as she took out the ruby necklace from her pocket. She passed it to the assassin. "I am an orphan, not special. He paid me, to steal this. I don't know why. I don't know his name." Tears ran down the girls red cheeks, cracking the dried blood on her face.

"Shh," Val cooed, she knew the child wouldn't last but she wanted her to leave in peace. Valetina placed the Chinese pedant around the child's neck.
"I'm sorry, I didn't mean for this too happ-"the child took her last breath and closed her eyes. Valetina sobbed over the corpse.

Footsteps could be heard over head; Sherlock was pulled out of his stock and turned. A man was standing with his back from them. He had a gun in his hand and he began to run. Sherlock raised his gun whilst the assassin cried.

Sherlock shouted after him. "Stop where you are." The man did as he was told. "Drop the gun and turn slowly towards me."
"Hello Holmes."
"Greenwood." Sherlock spat the word out like it was poison.