Chapter 1

It's nice to think that when you leave the place you've been living in for the past so-many years, one would have plenty of friends surrounding them. But, as I looked around me and my surroundings, I only had a small handful of people who had their suitcases and duffle bags in tow--no friends, and definitely no family.

The Greyhound bus terminal in New York City was quite large and busy. It was full of people--impatient people, young, people, old people. It was easy to pick out the people who were connecting to different buses all night; they were slumped against walls, and sitting on benches, rubbing their tired eyes as they waited for their next bus.

My ticket was in hand, a just a folded up piece of paper holding the number of tickets I'd purchased, and my suitcase was at my feet with a duffle bag resting on top. Inside my messenger bag, I'd stuffed in a couple bags of chips I'd bought at the nearest convenience store and a couple bottles of water. I wasn't sure how often we were stopping for food, so being prepared would be the best option.

My eyes flickered to the clock on the wall. It read 6:19 AM. Eleven more minutes before the bus is supposed to arrive. Eleven more minutes before I start my journey back home to Los Angeles, California.

I tapped my foot impatiently against the light, tiled floor.

Home is the only place I wanted to be at right now, in my Auntie's arms where it was safe and warm. My throat tightened at the thought of my Auntie Daphne. She was the parent figure my entire life and I've owed so much to her. The moment she called me a few days ago and asked me to come home for her, I didn't hesitate in dropping everything I had for her.

Now, I had forty or so hours to get home. Forty hours until I would see Auntie Daphne.

Just as I was about to take out my water bottle and take a swig, a thick and short woman with a neon yellow vest and blue uniform blew her whistle. I paid attention to her just as she began to announce the arrival of the bus to Richmond, VA. I knew, without looking at my tickets, that this was the bus I was going to. From Richmond, I was going to Atlanta, GA. I had connections in Dallas, TX, Phoenix, AZ and an express bus straight to Los Angeles with very few stops.

Grabbing my suitcase and dragging it with me, I began to line up at the right gate number, seventeen. In front of me was a dark-skinned woman with short hair and dark red, painted lips. She was speaking fast to the lady in front of her, something about the fast-food restaurant inside the bus terminal.

My hand gripped tightly onto the handle of my suitcase as my impatience grew. Over and over, I told myself to breathe deeply. That I would be on the bus soon, heading to my aunt's. 

It worked. 

Within just a few minutes, the bus to Richmond, VA was boarding. I had my ticket out and prepared for the bus driver to take it. The line was moving quickly, and before I knew it, I was handing my ticket out to her. 

"Straight to Richmond," she muttered and dug out a small piece of paper, handing it to me. "This is so that when we switch drivers in Baltimore, you can get back on the bus. Remember this number, 446, okay?" 

I nodded my head and the driver handed back the rest of my tickets. I quickly exited the gate, walking towards the bus. When I turned the corner, the bottom compartments were open and a small handful of suitcases were on the ground. A worker in a neon yellow vest was putting them in the compartments.  I left my suitcase there while taking my duffle bag and throwing it over my shoulder. 

I climbed the bus steps, my eyes flickering to the seats. Ten to fifteen people were already on, and very few window seats were open. Four rows down, there was an open window seat and I took it, shoving my duffle bag inside the above compartment. I slid into the seat, taking my phone out to have something to do while we waited.

There was a few texts, one from Auntie Daphne and the other from the friends back home including my closest best friend, Tammy. 

Tammy: Giiiiiirl, I'm so glad you're coming home. Be safe on the bus and update me! Even if it's two am, I wanna know how you're doing. Love you so much. Can't wait to see you, xo

Me: Hi, Tams. Just got on the bus, really impatient and can't wait to sleep my way through these next two days. Love you too. Be there as soon as I can xo

Resting my head on the window, I closed my eyes and tried to relax a little. My nerves were a little high and my body was practically thrumming with impatience. If I didn't calm myself down, these next two days were going to go by very slowly.

I took in deep breaths, exhaling each one slowly until I was calm. Then, I dug into my messenger bag and pulled out one of my favorite novels, The Devil's Teardrop by Jeffery Deaver. I got it before I left home at a small little thrift shop obscured by the bigger shops in LA. The book itself was wonderful, but the thrift shop was my favorite place in LA besides my aunt's home. 

I flipped the book open to the place where I left off and began to read about The Digger when something occurred to me. People outside were a little louder than usual. My eyebrows pulled down in confusion and I looked up just in time to see someone climb up the bus steps. 

I felt my heart do a somersault. 

Although he wore a grey, zip-up sweater with the hood flipped up, there was no mistaking the tousled brown hair and blue eyes that belonged to the popular boy-band member, Louis Tomlinson. His lips were curled into a shy smile with his cheeks tinted pink--maybe embarrassment from the attention? Who knew.

He walked down the aisle, eyes scanning every seat until they fell on the open on beside me. His blue eyes flashed to meet mine. The steady rhythm my heart beat to picked up as he smiled even more. I patiently awaited for words to leave his mouth, maybe, "Is this seat taken?" but he never said anything. 

He moved right on, taking a seat two rows behind me. 

I gaped at the seat in front of me, not quite understanding what happened. Would he really sit next to someone like me? Maybe he was just being polite, smiling at me. He probably wouldn't even bother considering sitting next to a girl at all--you know, with so many girls fawning over him. 

I groaned, leaning forward to rest my forehead on the back of the seat in front of me. 

I was a cliché, average-looking woman who thought she would have had a chance with a famous, probably down-to-Earth and sweet guy. Yeah, there was no chance in hell he'd bother with me. That, I was sure of.

Quickly putting earbuds in, I turned my music on while drifting off into the world of The Devil's Teardrop. A six hour ride and I'd probably never see him again. 

Just six hours before he disappears from your life completely, Morgan, I told myself. 

Six hours. It'll be fine. 

**

This is completely unedited and a tad rushed.