Chapter 14

Something woke me up from my slumber and I was almost positive it wasn't Louis. Rubbing the sleep out of my eyes, I glanced next to me to see his spot empty along with his suitcase and bags. Panic rose in my chest and I hurriedly glanced around the bus station, fearing he'd left without waking me.

But instead of seeing an empty bus station, it was just as full as it was when I fell asleep. Maybe even more-

My gaze fell on one of the entrances. Flashes of cameras and people pushing towards the door had caught my attention. And I realized what had woken me. The sound of the cameras clicking and people shouting.

Hurriedly, I stood up as I glanced at the clock on the wall. It was close to one in the morning, so I at least slept some.

Gathering my belongings, I rushed towards the exit where I was supposed to be. Around me, there was one or two people I recognized from the previous bus but Louis was nowhere to be seen.

I sighed.

"If you're looking for that famous Direction boy, he's in the offices of the Greyhound bus station," said a withered, old voice behind me. Startled, I turned to face a short woman in her sixties at least with dark skin and hair resembling a silver-white cloud. When I gave her a puzzled look, she explained. "A while ago, these reporters came and some of them got inside the bus station before security forced them back. It's a shame, that boy can't privacy, can he? Even traveling amongst the Greyhound, he's ambushed. What a pity."

I felt crestfallen. No doubt after this, he'd be put on a plane to Los Angeles. What person would want to continue on a two-day bus ride only to risk getting ambushed again? I was positive I'd seen the last of him.

And I wouldn't be able to give his sweatshirt back.

"How'd you know I was looking for him?" I asked her in a soft voice.

"You were with him most of the bus ride here to Atlanta and you'd stuck by him as you slept on the floor," the woman said. A knowing smile stretched her cheeks, making me blush.

It was obvious to her. She knew the attraction I held for Louis. Was it really that obvious? Could others see it? Could... Louis tell?

I mumbled something underneath my breath, turning my back on the older woman. It wasn't like my feelings mattered anymore, Louis was going to fly to Los Angeles, and there was no way I could see him again. He was famous while I was a simple commoner. A nobody.

As time passed, the reporters outside became even roudier. They were yelling louder, pushing harder against the security guards to the point where police showed up. It was insane that one famous band-member could cause all of that.

Was it that hard to believe that someone famous wanted to travel by bus instead of plane? That someone so famous could be humble and down-to-earth?

Eventually, I pulled out my phone to see if Tammy had messaged me at all. One new message from her.

Tammy: Louis Tomlinson is riding the bus station, you know. His fans are on Twitter, talking about it endlessly. There's a few pictures of him up there with a couple people. In Atlanta, and I know that's one of your stops. Spill, lady. Now.

I swallowed the lump in my throat. Shit. Of course, Tammy had to figure it all out before I could tell her what happened when I got home. And it sounded like she was upset.

Me: I'm so sorry, Tams, for not telling you sooner, but I'm pretty sure he's just flying to LA. after being ambushed like this. What person would want to stay and risk it again? I'll tell you more when I get home. Right now I'm just tired

Her response came within minutes.

Tammy: Good, because I deserve an explanation. I bet it's juicy.

And just like that, the tension between us disappeared.

- -

It was at least another half-hour to forty five minutes before the bus arrived and another ten before we were allowed on the bus. He gave me a three-letter number so that when we got off to switch bus drivers in Vicksburg, Mississippi, I could get back on.

I did the math in my head as the line for the bus slowly moved forward. Six and a half hours on a bus. Enough that I could get some proper sleep. My aching feet were begging me to sit down and the exhaustion was hitting me hard now.

But, still, I trudged forward, sliding my suitcase towards the bottom compartment. The worker slid it in with the rest of the suitcases and then, he was out of view as I climbed up the bus steps.

My eyes glanced across the open seats on the bus. There was few window seats open and few seats that I would have liked to have, but I couldn't be picky.

Just as I was about to choose a seat in the middle of the bus, my eyes fell on a certain blue-eyed person I've taken a liking to.

Louis.

He was still on the bus!

He grabbed my wrist and tugged me down into the aisle seat, grinning at me with a big smile that reached his eyes. A giggle slipped past my lips and I couldn't help but grin back.

"What happened?" I asked him quietly. "At first I thought you'd left me at the bus station, but when I saw the reporters... I'd have figured you would have bought a plane ticket and flown to L.A."

However, Louis shrugged, still grinning. "I couldn't leave you here on the bus alone, could I? I mean besides you still have my sweatshirt and I can't let you leave with my sweatshirt."

Laughing quietly, I stood on my feet to shove my bag in the top compartment, sitting back down.

Six hours sitting beside Louis? I couldn't complain.

Yeeeah, another chapter update. Three updates this week total including this one. I feel like I'm on a roll. Woohoo! :)