Chapter 27 - Betrayal of the Heart

Chapter Twenty Seven - Betrayal of the Heart

To say Sabrina was having a good morning was an understatement. She was having a great morning. She'd woken up to bright sunlight, streaming across her face. She'd taken a second to relish it, and almost flopped down back into bed because she didn't have any morning classes and she was planning on going for a jog and hitting up the library because the book she'd been waiting forever for had finally arrived. 

It was going to be a good day.

After taking a long bath and grabbing an apple, she was almost out the door when Leila smacked into her. Sabrina caught a glance at her face and saw that her best friend was deeply troubled.

"Woah!" Sabrina exclaimed, startled. "What are you doing here?"

"Oh my God." Laila gasped, out of breath. "Have you seen it yet?"

"Uh...no?" Sabrina asked, confused. 

She took a moment to reach out to steady Leila who was leaning over, looking as if she'd ran a marathon. Certainly not in those heels though, Sabrina thought, examining her friend's outfit. Leila took a breath and looked up at Sabrina, her eyes wide and Sabrina knew something was terribly wrong. 

"Okay." Leila breathed, composing herself and grabbing Sabrina's arms, leading her to the dining room and sitting her down. "You'll want to sit down for this."

"What's going on, exactly?" Sabrina, now on the verge of panic, demanded.

Leila stared at her for a moment. "Something...happened."

"That's not very detailed." 

"Something bad."

"I think I may need more that that."

The two girls gazed at each other, Leila nearly bursting and Sabrina so on edge that she was basically going into lock-down mode. Leila was almost shaking now, as if she wanted to get it out and yet she knew that once it was, everything could change forever. 

"I'll just show you!" Leila cried in exasperation. She whipped out her phone, opened Instagram and turned it to face Sabrina. 

Suddenly, Sabrina's day wasn't as good anymore.

_ _ _ 

By the time she entered her university, Sabrina was tempted to turn around and go straight back home. But with sheer willpower -- and Leila pretty much pushing her all the way to her locker -- she maintained her image and didn't break down in front of her schoolmates. Word must have spread already however, because her classmates didn't even bother to hide their surprise and interest upon seeing her. Their whispers followed her down the hall.

"Leila." Sabrina whispered, over her shoulder. "I don't think I can do this."

"Yes, you can." Leila turned to her best friend, her eyes narrowed. "And if I see that...that prick...I swear to God, I will shove a fire hydrant so far up his-"

"Uh." Sabrina interrupted. "Lets not talk about that." 

"Oh, right sorry." Leila apologized, thinking Sabrina meant shoving a fire hydrant up someone.

But Sabrina had meant talking about Khalid. Which made her think of the...Instagram picture of him. With Hiba. Who was kissing him on the cheek. The shot was elegantly captioned with 'So the rumors are true xoxo' and while Sabrina was fully aware that it was a jab at her and Khalid's relationship she couldn't believe her eyes when Leila had shown it to her. She couldn't believe that Khalid had just let Hiba kiss him. He'd looked so...content.