Chapter 11 - Girl Time

Chapter Eleven - Girl Time

Sabrina blinked and rolled over with a groan. She squinted against the rays of the early morning sun, checked her alarm clock and turned her head to stare at the ceiling. She had a day off work and school today and she and Emaan had planned to take Leila out to liven up her mood a bit. It had been a week since her mother had died and Leila had been - and still was - heartbroken. She had changed so drastically the day her mother had passed away that it was hard to recognize her as the fun-loving, sarcastic fashionista that she was. Of course it was understandable - Sabrina couldn't even imagine losing her own mother, but it hurt to see her friend suffer.

She kicked off her duvet and headed to the bathroom. During breakfast, she texted Emaan to confirm that they’re plans were still good for today. Now all Sabrina had to do was ask her mother. Her mother had also taken Aunt Halima’s death very emotionally. She’d been her best friend for so long. Sabrina recalled her heartbreaking reaction; her mother had turned her face towards the sky and let out a guttural sob.. She’d never seen her mother so grief stricken.

As Sabrina got up to wash her dishes, her mother entered the kitchen. Her face held no trace of anything, it was just a pale mask of indifference. Sabrina watched her stumble around the kitchen in a daze, as she did the dishes.

“Mum.” She said.

Her mother turned to her and gave her a small halfhearted smile. “Salaam, baita. How are you?”

“Alright.” Sabrina answered and went on carefully. “Is it alright if Emaan, Leila and I go to the mall today?”

“Today?” Her mother looked up, from searching through a cupboard.

“Yeah.”

“I suppose.” Her mother answered.

“Emaan and I were hoping to take Leila shopping to...get her mind off things.” Sabrina explained.

“Ah.” Her mother sighed. “Alright then. Have fun. Your father and I have to run some errands today anyway.”

“Okay. Thats good.” Sabrina chirped. “We might stay over at Emaan’s afterwards too.”

“Fine with me.” Her mother smiled.

* * *

“Noooo, we’re going to the pet shop first!” Sabrina stated.

“Oh come on!” Emaan cried. “I wanted to check out the new skirts that Urban Planet just got.”

“Pet shop!”

“Urban Planet!”

“I WANT TO SEE KITTENS!” Sabrina declared.

“I WANT A NEW SKIRT!” Emaan wailed.

“And I want some peace and quiet!” Leila interrupted.

Sabrina and Emaan turned to Leila with equally guilty expressions. The mumbled a few apologies and glared at each other when Leila turned away.

“What do you want to do then?” Sabrina asked Leila.

But Leila wasn’t listening. She was staring at a mother handing her child an ice cream cone. The little girl giggled in glee, her blond curls bouncing as she jumped up to give her mother a hug. Her mother smiled down at her beaming daughter and laughed along with her. Sabrina quickly waved her hand in front of Leila’s face.

“Pet shop or no?” She offered.

Emaan crossed her fingers. “Please say Urban Planet!”

Leila blinked, turning to her friends and gave them a small smile. From the corner of her eyes, Sabrina saw the mother and child walk away, but their laughter still echoed in her mind.