Chapter 36 - Made It

Chapter Thirty Six - Made It

Five months later...

Khalid could say that he was pretty pleased. Since Sabrina's engagement ring had been returned to her, Khalid's mind had been put at ease. He'd finally made it, finally pulled through even though there had been some moments of doubt and confusion. Many people had approached him with smiles at the great news but there had been one person who was not too happy.

Seeing the ring on Sabrina's hand with her own eyes, Hiba had immediately confronted Khalid over the issue. Khalid had told her off, letting her know that she'd failed - that her plan didn't work. Sabrina and Khalid would get married. He'd watched her stomp off but stopped her before she disappeared.

"Hiba." He'd called, waiting for her to stop and throw him a questioning glance. "Get that picture off Instagram."

She'd only sneered cruelly back at him. But a few weeks later, he'd noted that it had been removed. Since then there were wedding plans to prepare, and Khalid and Sabrina busied themselves within their schoolwork in between composing the wedding arrangements. Their parents were a big help, aiding them with advice as they picked out decorations and of course, Sabrina's wedding dress. Khalid had not been allowed to see it, as Sabrina wanted it to be a surprise. He'd been informed about its color however, so he could pick out an outfit that could match. 

Currently, he adjusted his gold cufflinks, and admired his outfit. This was the first time he was wearing Indian clothing and he could admit that the white sherwani was a beautiful piece of work with gold embroidery and a decorated red collar and sleeves. 

"My, you look like a handsome Indian prince." His mother smiled up at him, and he laughed, working on his hair to get that swept back look.

"That's the goal." Khalid mumbled, wondering if Sabrina would like him in her culture's traditional dress.

--

At the wedding hall, Khalid was all nerves. He knew as the bride, Sabrina would take awhile to arrive but he couldn't help glance at the entrance every so often. People were beginning to arrive and he distracted himself by attending to them. He wanted someone to put on a nasheed or anything to help him focus. As he wandered around making sure everything was in order, a heavy hand on his shoulder made him jump, and he turned to Jamaal who snickered at his nervousness.

"Calm down, bro." Jamaal laughed, "you look ready to pass out."

"Wait until you get married." Khalid grumbled, itching to fix his hair. "Then I'll be the one going around making you jump."

"Ha." Jamaal scoffed. "Sure, sure."

"Oh come on," Khalid winked. "I'm sure you'll be all over the place watching Emaan walk up the aisle."

"I--wha--what!!" Jamaal spluttered, turning three different shades of red. 

It was clear from his expression that he was imagining Emaan in a wedding dress, and Khalid smirked. 

They talked and joked more for a bit and at one point, Khalid caught his father's eye over Jamaal's shoulder. The older man nodded at him and turned back to a conversation he was engaged in. Khalid felt a swell of accomplishment rise in his chest. It relieved him to know that he had his parents' blessings.

"Khalooo!" His mother interrupted his thoughts, the embarrassing nickname catching the attention of other guests who gave Khalid amused glances.

"Yes, mother." Khalid laughed, too happy to care.