Chapter 34 - The Phone Call

Chapter Thirty Four - The Phone Call

Khalid's hands tightened around the phone when he realized the caller was Sabrina's father. His mouth went dry and for a moment he completely blanked out before his mother poked him on the back and turned to leave, giving him privacy. Why was Sabrina's father calling?

"Walaikum asalaam." He greeted in reply, keeping his voice steady."

Sabrina's father grunted. "I'd like to discuss some matters with you. I've spoken to your mother about it and she agrees that I may be able to do so."

Khalid, who's heart had still not calmed down since he'd picked up the phone, sat down and bounced his leg in anticipation. He expressed his approval for the other man to continue.

On the other end, Hamaad sighed. "It seems my daughter has no intention of moving on. Even though I'd rather have Sabrina marry someone else, I cannot deny her the right to marry whoever she wishes."

Khalid's heart plummeted to his throat. There, it made a home in his mouth and he was afraid the older man would hear it's rapid beating. Swallowing his excitement, he listened as Hamaad continued.

"I need to be sure that no harm will come to her through you. I know I can never be sure of this completely but once trust has been broken, it is hard to repair." Sabrina's father explained, rather gruffly. "If any harm in whatever shape of form comes to Sabrina if you two should marry, and I come to know that it was because of you, then I will personally step in and remove her from your life."

Even though he was blatantly being threatened, Khalid still found himself worrying over that little "if." He almost sunk into the couch in disappointment. If the possibility of the marriage was still at the "if" stage then what progress had been made? He shook this thought away and focused on the more important matter: assuring Sabrina's safety.

"Mr. Khan," Khalid began, unsure on how to address Sabrina's father other than Dude Who Wont Let Me Marry My Dream Girl, "I never intended to put Sabrina in any dangerous situation and before I even began to reconsider taking your daughter's hand in marriage I made sure that no harm would come her way. My past is in my past and I have no intention to make it my future or let it resurface."

"And if it does?" Hamaad fired. "What if you fall back into your old habits? What if your gang catches up to you?"

"My ex-gang," Khalid ground out, pausing to stress this point, "has been wiped out. They're all either dead or in jail. As for my old habits, I've already gone to rehab and to this day have not touched and drugs nor do I plan to join any more gangs." 

"You better not." The older man grumbled and Khalid sighed wondering why everyone had to doubt him. He was capable of recovering. "It damn near got my daughter killed."

Khalid cringed at this and guilt stabbed his heart and before he could even consider how to appropriately respond to this statement, he let out a sigh. "You're right. After everything she did for me and my mother, it was cruel and unfair that my actions nearly cost her life. I will never be able to forgive myself for it."

Hamaad huffed and had just began to form a response when he stopped. "Wait. What did Sabrina do for your mother?"

"She...my mother had been attacked a year ago, and was in the hospital because she'd lost a lot of blood. Sabrina donated hers. It had been enough to keep my mother alive." Khalid said slowly.

Had Sabrina not told her parents that she'd donated her own blood to his dying mother? Which had pretty much saved her life? Only now did it occur to Khalid that Sabrina may have had a good reason to not have let her parents know. He froze, feeling as if he'd said something he shouldn't have.

"Why did my daughter not...?" Hamaad said to himself, sounding as if he was pacing the room. "When did this happen?"

It was too late to back out now. Khalid reluctantly replied. "Senior year of high school."

"I see. And my daughter knew you well enough to donate blood to your mother." He noted, seeming to imply something.

"With all due respect, Uncle," Khalid told him, taking a careful approach."Sabrina and I were not even friends at the time. I hadn't expected her to save my mother's life, nor did I even know until the nurse had mentioned it. It was a shock to see that it was Sabrina...our relationship was not on friendly terms during those days."  

He was slightly annoyed that Sabrina's father would suspect his own daughter of being overly friendly with someone of the opposite sex. Even Khalid knew Sabrina wasn't that type of girl and he was surprised to find that her father lacked faith in her. He was more worried, however that Sabrina's father would demand to know everything about their past. He didn't think Sabrina's father would react to kindly to finding out he'd practically bullied her through middle school.

"And why is that?" Hamaad prodded, determined to pull out ever last detail about their relationship. Khalid could kick himself repeatedly for being unable to prevent this turn in conversation. If only he'd kept his mouth shut and his emotions in check.

"We had a...misunderstanding in Junior High. The situation kind of blew up because of miscommunication and drama. Other...people may have also brought race into it which led to more problems..."

"Mm hmm," Hamaad mumbled something under his breath and sighed. "And yet she still wants to marry you. I hope this misunderstanding doesn't become a problem for you two. Again."

"We've gotten over it." Khalid confirmed, sensing that even though Sabrina's father was being cooperative and not digging for more information, he still had not been swayed.

After a small pause, Hamaad asked The Question.

"What makes her so special to you, Khalid?" The father inquired. 

Khalid wasn't certain if there were words to describe what made Sabrina so special to him. There were feelings, yes. There was actions and thoughts and sounds and sensations that could describe what he felt for Sabrina, what made him so completely sure that he was in love with her. But words? He didn't think he possessed the vocabulary to describe what she meant to him.

"Everything." He found himself saying. "Everything about her is important to me. Her life gives me life."

He didn't expect her father to suddenly hand his daughter over to a man who'd nearly gotten her killed and only had words to make up for it. No, he didn't want to use words. He wanted to do so much more than that. He wanted to be hers just and much as he wanted her.

"I feel this call is a waste of time." Hamaad suddenly said and Khalid's heart almost stopped. "It may have confirmed some things but in another way it was unnecessary. I cannot say I've been reassured of anything other than the fact that my daughter loves you. And although I still fear you may bring harm to her, I fear her unhappiness even more."

Khalid's heart restarted, and held his breath too afraid to open his mouth.  

"Sabrina has told me that you still have her engagement ring?"

"I do, yes." Khalid replied, happiness shaking his words.

"Good. Sabrina will be happy to have it back."

__________________________________________________________________________________

*sobs in joy* sorry it's kinda short. Also some of the stuff in this chapter are from the first book (yes there's a first book , haha)

vote, comment, don't do drugs which might endanger your future spouse and lead to an aggravating phone call in with your future father in law.