Chapter Fourteen

"Is there a reason why you're lying on the grass when they're perfectly good and working chairs nearby?" My father asks as he stands over me.

I've been in this spot for the past I don't know how many hours. When I ran out of Jade's house, I came home and lied in the backyard in the grass. Why? Who knows? I lied on the grass and watch the stars. I watch the sky turn from night to the sun rising high in the sky.

I just couldn't get over the fact that last night, I kissed Jade. And I loved it. But what does that say about me? Am I now considered to be a lesbian? And how the hell can I possibly tell my father?

"Beatrice." I hear my dad call out to me but I can't answer. "Talk to me sweetheart please."

I don't want to talk to you, is what I wanted to say. But I decide against it. I may be thinking about Jade and my feelings for her. But I didn't forget that my father was cheating on my mother while she was dying. I don't even know how to respond to that.

"I know Miriam had a talk with you yesterday and I'm sorry that..."

"You are not sorry." I say cutting him off. "If you were, you wouldn't have done it in the first place. And me wanting to be alone right now has nothing to do with you." I stand from the grass and dust myself off. "We can talk about that some other time."

I leave him standing in the backyard alone. Miriam tries to approach me on the staircase but I couldn't deal with her right now either. I lock up in my bathroom and soak in the tub.

I want to call Lia but I don't know what her reaction will be. This is so scary. This is all new territory for me and I don't know how to handle this. Why must everything be so complicated?

My phone starts ringing. I look at the caller id. I start to ignore it but my gut feeling told me not too.

"Akoni." I greet.

"Put some clothes on and come take a ride with me. I'm already outside waiting for you."

I close my eyes and breathe a sigh of relief. "Okay."

I quickly throw on some beige shorts and a white top. I let my parents know that I'm leaving before heading out the door.

When I walk over to Akoni, he gives me a hug. "You look like you can really use one of these." He says.

"Thank you." I say.

He kisses my forehead and let me go. "Let's go for a ride."

He opens the car door for me and I hop in. I'm actually really glad that Akoni is here. He's been honest and nothing but kind to me since I met him. And I'm glad he was the one to reach out to me. I can use a friend right now.

"Are we going to get a drink?" I ask him.

He scoffs. "Absolutely not. It's still early in the day and besides the last thing you need to be doing right now is drinking."

"Boo." I pout.

He chuckles. "Pout all you want." He says and pulls into the Jet Ski shop. I climb out the car and look at him. "You're taking me on the Jet Ski?"

"Nope." He throws his arm around my shoulder and we head inside of the small building. He sits me in a black leather computer chair behind a counter. "What's up Liam?" He greets a guy who was already there.

"Nothing much. Ready to hit the water." He says as he signs off on some papers.

"Sounds good. You go ahead and I'll finish up for you."

Liam stops writing and look at Akoni. "Seriously?"

Akoni smiles. "Yes now go."

Liam looks at me then Akoni. "Okay. I'll make sure to catch a couple of waves for you."