Chapter 4

I rushed out after Jordan and was horrified by the sight.

Dominic was lying unconscious with blood pouring out of a wound in his chest that looked like a stab wound. There was a large pool of blood around him. His face was white and his lips were blue.

Jordan sobbed. Even though I hated that man, I pushed Jordan aside and worked my medical magic.

I ripped his shirt open and looked closer.

The wound was only an inch or two deep but it was near his right lung. I balled up his shirt and firmly pressed it to his wound. Then I moved him so that his head was on a step.

"Jordan listen to me. I need you to calm down. Go get me some gauze and a towel and a pillow. Go."

Jordan ran into her apartment and was back about a minute later with everything and had her phone out, dialing 911.

I put the pillow under his head and pressed the towel to his chest and signaled for Jordan to push against the towel and she shakily did. I checked his head for any more damage and saw something that made me almost cry.

He had a deep cut in his head. Deep enough to see something pink that I didn't want to think about.

"Jordan give me the phone. Now."

She handed me the phone immediately.

"Hi, um, you need to floor it. He has a deep head wound. He's not dead yet, but he's close. Hurry. Please."

"If course ma'am. We're very close."

Then I heard sirens. More than one though. A police car and an ambulance were next to us in no time and they doctors began working on Dominic.

The officer pulled Jordan and I aside. Jordan had a nonstop stream of tears flowing down her cheeks.

"I know you guys are upset but I have a few questions."

Jordan leaned in to my shoulder and I gently put my arm around her.

"Ok ask away." I muttered.

"When did you find him?"

"About ten or twenty minutes ago. He was lying over by the stairs to her apartment, unconscious and in a pool of blood. I ran over to him and did everything I could. And then I saw his head wound. It's pretty serious."

The officer wrote down everything I told him and Jordan started crying harder.

"Ok that's enough for now. He's in good hands. How about I drive you both to the hospital?"

I smiled.

"That'd be great."

Jordan didn't move so I picked her up easily and carried her to the car. She kept her head buried in my shoulder, getting my shirt wet. I shouldn't have liked it, but I enjoyed having her so close to me, needing me.

********

We had been waiting for four hours as the doctors performed an emergency surgery. Jordan was hysterical and wouldn't sit down.

"Jordan, I know you're worried but sit down. You're driving me insane."

She ignored me so I grabbed her hand and pulled her on to my lap, trapping her there. She gave in and rested her head on my shoulder.

"Is he going to be ok?"

I sighed. She wanted the truth but I didn't want to upset her.

"I hope so. The doctors are doing everything they can."

She nodded.

I saw a nurse approach us with a grim look on her face. My hold on Jordan tightened.

"We did everything possible. But he's.... Well he's gone."