1. Broke a rule

Drenched and cold, I run home in the freezing rain. The urge is pulling me closer and closer. I need to find out the truth. Why were there were soldiers at every door? Why do we have strict laws and curfews? Curfews... Oh, crap! I look down at my watch and it's broken. Thanks a lot, rain! The hour hand had broken at the ten. I run home faster than usual, only one more street to go. As I turn to face my small antiquated house, I think of excuses. It doesn't matter if I lie, everything has been a lie lately. It was all a big secret. Ever since March 3rd, nothing will ever be the same. It was just a regular school day and I was walking home from school with my dog Ginger hidden under my jacket. If anyone sees Ginger, my family and I would get kicked out of our house. We aren't allowed to have dogs in Little Washington but I couldn't just throw her out, it's not that easy. Besides, she is my baby. Before the law, We had a dog named Lacie, she had 5 puppies. They are Yorkie poo's, a special breed of dogs, they are awfully small. A week later we let them go behind our yard and hoped they would wander away from the town. We prayed they wouldn't be found. However, 2 days ago I found Ginger hiding under a pile of litter when I was walking home from school. I was walking home with Ginger hid under my jacket and I saw a guard standing on the Mike Millers porch, all dressed in their shiny white uniform, clutching his handgun. The white killers, my friends and I would call them. I walked quickly as I almost passed the house, Ginger squirmed out of my arms, at the worst time she could.

Then it started raining. I'm not surprised, it always rains in this cold, lonely place. I had an endless count of dull days. Where's Ginger? Ginger? I yelled loud enough. C'mon girl. Where did you go to? It stopped raining and I could clearly Ginger, someone else could too. Oh great. There I spotted her. On Mike Millers porch, sitting right in front of the soldier. He looked down at the dog surprised. I saw him open his mouth to say something as he was pulling his gun out of his pocket, but I didn't let him. I took off as fast as I could towards home and Ginger, who could now see me, ran from the soldier following right behind me. He tried to shoot, but he couldn't. I was holding ginger so tightly if he shot her, it would hit me too. I need to hide her, quickly. If they find her again, I won't have anything to hide. They'll shoot her dead and give our family a fine for sure. We're already poor enough, If I get in trouble again they will send me away. Then I'll have to say goodbye to what I love most.