Chapter 15

Music blasted from the ballroom that was mostly reserved for dancing, of course. Victoria had rented out a ballroom that led to the pool deck of a hotel for her birthday. By the time Chris showed up, the place was packed and the music was raving. The songs were a combination of 80's and 90's classics and popular songs now. It was obvious the birthday girl choose the playlist. Chris didn't mind the music though, and he didn't mind the crowd of people he had to weeve through to get to the pool deck. In fact he enjoyed having to squeeze through a raving crowd like he did in his party days. Oh God, when he thinks of it like that he does sound like an old man. His party days were right before Giselle showed up.

Chris's throat clenched. No. He wouldn't worry about her until after he had a good time. He was going to let it all go tonight. Who knew when he'd have another chance like his?

Chris entered the pool deck which was decorated with festive lights and giant floaties. His eyes scanned the area and landed on the bar. Michael leaned casually on the bar drinking a fruit embellished margarita. Chris strode toward his friend, greeting those he recognized in the way. Michael stood straight when he saw his best friend and shook his hand vigorously.

"Finally made it huh?" He smiled

Chris chucked and ordered a margarita. The two men then leaned on the bar and sipped their drinks observing the party around them. A few men came stumbling out of the ballroom, cackling and leaning on each other for support. They spoke to each other at the top of their lungs as if they were still inside the ballroom with blasting music.

"Look at these fools," Micheal shook his head disapprovingly

"Mmm," Chris agreed

"You have grown men acting like teenagers here."

"It's a shame." Chris said sipping his drink

"Dancing like their crazy, drinking like they're a bottomless pit. It's a shame."

One of the men leaned to close to the pool and fell in. His friend cackled at him and then joined him. A couple of on lookers cheered them on.

"Animals," Michael said with distaste.

"Mm-hm" Chris said seeing the bottom of his glass

Pause

"We should hurry up and get drunk so we can join them." Michael added

Chris grinned, "That's what I'm talking about." He looked back at the bartender "Another round!"

Michael gulped his down without hesitation. Chris followed suit and beers were ordered. As they tried to gulp down their beers a familiar brunette approached. She was dressed in a green cocktail dress and nude heels.

"Hey you guys!" Victoria cheered she reached out as if she was expecting a hug, which she received from neither of the men

"Hi Victoria," Michael said her name as if he was telling Chris to pay attention to her name and face this time around

"Happy birthday V." Chris smiled and glanced at Michael

"Thank you! And thank you for coming! It means so much to me."

Victoria's face beamed as she looked at Chris. Chris pretended not to notice.

"Are you enjoying the free booze?" Victoria joked

"Yes ma'am." Chris winked

"You owe me dance later, okay?" Victoria hand touched Chris's forearm

Chris lifted his beer to her and smirked. Victoria waved and made her way to the ballroom. Michael glanced at Chris and then elbowed him playfully. Chris groaned and rolled his eyes.

"Please," he said and took a sip to his beer

"She likes you." Michael joked

"We have a rule." Chris said lifting his beer to his lips "No co-workers."

"You have a rule, not me."

"I thought we both agreed to it."

Michael shrugged, "I agreed for you to agree."

Chris shook his head in disbelieve. Not that it mattered much anyway. Victoria could never sway him anyway. If anyone could get him off guard it would be-

"Dolly!" Michael waved over a precarious blonde

"Hiya boys," Doll Maverick greeted

Chris wished she wasn't so lovely. She smelled sweet like cinnamon sugar and her elegant cocktail dress hugged her body in all the right places. She wore a simple sapphire necklace that twinkled in sync with her doey eyes.

"You guys drinking the night away?" Doll asked with a smirk

Chris leaned toward her. "We're trying to see who gets drunk the fastest."

"Oh," Doll said her eyes lighting up like a fire
"Mind if I join you?" She asked sweetly

Chris gestures to the seat next to him. Michael nodded his head with a jolly grin. Doll nodded her head in thanks and shyly took a seat.

"Sorry if I'm crashing your guy moment." Doll squeezed her shoulders together "I'm not much of a party person."

"Neither am I," Michael admitted "That's why I'm getting drunk."

Doll giggled and looked to Chris. Chris shrugged with a playful grin.

"I'm just getting drunk for sport." He said

"Well it looks like I'll have to join in on this." Doll grinned and ordered a drink

"That's some hard liquor you got." Chris observed as the harsh drink was passed to Doll

"Really?" Doll shrugged "It's what my dad use to order."

"Your father was a hard drinker." Michael chimed

"Maybe that's something I picked up from him." Doll teased

"We'll see," Chris said clinking his glass to hers

"Bottoms up!"