Chapter 9

The paint stunk. It's fumes flooded Giselle's nostrils as she lay in her bed. By the time they had finished painting Giselle's room, including lunch, the sun had just set. Becky left feeling satisfied with the room and Chris went to his office. Giselle had eaten dinner in the dinner room, alone. She showered and washed her hair, something she had neglected to do for a while. She couldn't help feeling depressed and sluggish over the week. But after the days events she felt enough endorphins to carry her to the shower and comb out her hair.

They had left the her bed in the center of the room so the paint could dry without disturbance. The layers of wet paint on the walls sent a strong smell that grabbed Giselle's nose and sent her coughing. Giselle was sensitive to the strong fumes but she didn't want to be a bother to Chris. She wasn't sure if he could even do anything anyway, or he would even care. 'You wanted to paint your room didn't you?' She could already hear him saying.

There were no other rooms with ness in the house besides hers and Chris's room, so if she couldn't handle being in her own room for the night then she would have to sleep on the couch. The couch was leather and wasn't the most comfortable thing to lay on, Giselle had tried it, but if it was her only option...

Giselle coughed and slid out of her bed taking a blanket and pillow with her. She looked down the hallway and saw the light under the office door. The dim light from the windows was barely enough for Giselle to see clearly as the sky darkened from sunset orange to deep blue.

She managed to make it to the couch without bumping into anything and she climbed into it. She wiggled around, trying to find a comfortable position but failed to find anything auspicious.

She lay there in the pitch black consuming darkness. The sounds of the darkness came to a screaming volume in Giselle's ears as her senses became heightened and a sensation of awareness came upon her. It was interesting how different the night could be when your in a different situation. Here on the couch in the living room, Giselle felt exposed.

She adjusted her position again and brought the blanket over her nose. There was no way she was going to be able to sleep tonight. She didn't know how long she lay there before she heard footsteps coming down the stairs and the lights come on. She could hear Chris before she could see him. She lied perfectly still so he wouldn't notice her. He sighed and she could hear him coming closer to the couch. For a moment Giselle thought he knew she was there until she heard his feet halt un gracefully and his voice cry out in surprise.

She jumped and shifted to sit up. He stood behind the couch with slight relief and shock etched on his face.

Chris breathed out.

"Geez, your making a habit out of this." He sighed with his hand over his heart

Giselle blinked.

"Why are you there? Were you watching T.V. or something?" He asked

"No I'm trying to sleep. Why are you there." Giselle answered

"I came down here to get a midnight snack." He raises his eye brow at her "Why aren't you sleeping in your room?"

Giselle shifted on the couch and then brought her knees up. She didn't want him to make a big deal about it.

"The paint smells really strong. It's uncomfortable." She finally confessed

Chris stared at her for a moment and then looked down. His lips twitched like he wanted to say something but only silence traveled between the two. He crossed his arms and furrowed his eye brows.

"It's that bad?" He inquired

"I can't sleep there. It's like suffocating me." Giselle answered using hand gestures

Chris snickered and then pursed his lips looking down. Giselle couldn't understand what he could be thinking about. He probably thought she was weird, or a baby...not that she cared what he thought of her.

"Why don't you..." Chris pondered "Why don't you just sleep in my room?"

Giselle blinked and her mouth twitched. Was he suggesting...?

"I'll be working all night anyway, so I'm not going to be using my bed. You can use it if you want." He said it so causally like they were cool like that

My bed is your bed.

Giselle pursed her lips, mimicking Chris without even realizing it. Well, it wouldn't be weird because it's not like their sharing it. He will be in his office and she's just in his room. Giselle shifted on the couch.

The couch was uncomfortable and Chris's bed was spacious. But despite how good it sounded her suspicion didn't falter. She still didn't trust Chris...at all but, he hadn't exactly done anything since she moved in that gave the impression that he was a predator. Yes, Giselle did get to meet one of his hookers the very day she moved in but...he wouldn't ever try anything weird with her.

"If you don't want to, that's fine." Chris said beginning to stride his way to the kitchen

Giselle watches him for a moment and then slowly and cautiously slide off the couch.