Chapter 16

After about the third set of rounds Chris noticed his friend becoming more and more animated.

"Can you believe how ridiculous that is?!" Michael cackled, his arm was around Chris and he leaned far forward toward Doll "I ran the whole way back home..." He couldn't contain his laughter "Without my shoes!"

Michael put his face into Chris's shoulder and giggled like a school girl. Doll giggled too but not for the same reason Michael did. Chris tried to stand Michael up.

"I think that's enough drinking." He suggested "Time to dance."

Doll jumped from her seat. "I agree," she didn't seem fazed by the alcohol but she now radiated a level of confidence Chris had never seen in her before.

Chris and Michael leaned on each other toward the ballroom with Doll directing them every time they stumbled in the wrong direction. An old favorite came on the speakers and everyone cheered in appreciation. Doll especially jumped up.

"This was my favorite song back in high school." She commented

"Might I have this dance?" Michael held out his hand to Doll, suddenly able to stand straight up by himself

Doll happily accepted his hand and the two were suddenly engulfed by the crowd. New faces spun into their place and Chris found himself alone on the colorful dance floor. He imagined how pathetic he must have looked. He knew the nature of the dance floor. He had to find himself a group to commune with. The dance floor had groups that stayed close to each other to survive.

However, Chris overestimated his favor with his co-workers. Chris causally grooved his way over to a group and they greeted him and continued their dancing. But Chris lingered on the outskirts of their protective circle and couldn't break in. Fine. He chasséd his way to another group of familiar faces but he got a less enthusiastic greeting and an even harsher barrier line. Chris noticed the glances he was getting, he heard them whisper his name.

Don't panic, he told himself, you're not fifteen. Suddenly Giselle's face popped into his head. What was she and Alek doing?

No. He wouldn't think of her.

Chris straightened his jacket and causally left the dance floor. The speakers released another 80's hit and the crowd erupted in cheers of youthful memories. Men took off their jackets in a furry and the women twirled their hair loose but the aroma of the dance floor was not so appealing as it use to be. Something wasn't right.

"Tired of dancing?" Came a voice behind Chris

Chris turned his head and saw Paul Black walk up next to Chris. Chris easily had him beat in dress and grooming but he wouldn't make note of it this time around.

"Black," he greeted humorlessly

"Baez," Paul looked at the dancing crowd

"I didn't realize you were acquainted with Victoria." Chris noted

"She's acquainted with everyone in the office. You would know that if you payed a little more attention."

"I have to admit I'm actually engrossed in my work while in the office."

"Right, you were defiantly engrossed in the break room with Mr. Hall."

"Frank and I like to chat."

"Just make sure your nose isn't too brown afterwards." He spat

"Excuse me," Chris turned to face his opponent "But if I'm not mistaken, which I hardly am, you were behind with your work not too long ago. And who did you come to for help?"

Paul's neck stiffened.

"You came to me." Chris's chest widened "You came to me because I don't lag behind.  I am your superior. Show me some respect."

"We all know you brown nosed and pit pocketed your way to your position." Paul seethed "I'm not too far below you and I hear you're in hot water with your daddy."

Chris's nostrils flared.

"Maybe he finally saw through the sham of a son who plays at being a big boy. Respect?" Paul laughed darkly "You don't deserve the word."

Any second and the blood pumping through Chris's veins would burst in a hot flurry. He took a quick step toward Paul to give him what he was asking for when a pair of delicate hands grabbed his chest.

"Dance with me!" Doll cooed

Paul stiffened at the sight of Doll but Chris let his muscles loosen under her touch and lead him onto the dance floor. He knew Paul would watch every step they took together.

The music changed to a slower beat and people paired and swayed to the lovesick melodies of romantic artist. Doll wrapped her arms around Chris's neck and he held her waist. The material of her dress felt nice against his fingertips and he rubbed it softly. Doll's cheek's noticeably darkened and she lowered her eyes to his chest.

In a moment like this he could easily forget the world around him but the words of Paul Black circled his head. Did everyone think he cheated his way to executive? Getting to his position wasn't easy. His father purposely made it near impossible but the one thing Chris enjoyed doing was proving people wrong.

Once Chris is CEO it won't matter what the likes of Paul Black thought of him. He wouldn't even have to see him in the building.

"You okay?" Doll's eyes searched for his

"Yeah," Chris smiled

Doll's pink lips formed a thin line. "You seem tense."

"It's nothing." He smiled more naturally "Where's Michael?"

Doll shrugged and sighed "I lost him in the crowd. He was getting pretty pumped up."

"Mm, I should get him drunk more often."

Doll giggled. Chris's hands traveled up Doll's sides and to her arms where he took them and changed their position to a more classic dance hold. One arm was wrapped around her small waist and the other gently holding her hand. He let his head lower and lightly rested it against hers. The sweet smell of her skin danced around his nose, tempting him to breath in more of her intoxicating sent.

Allowing himself another whiff of her scent he melted further in her arms. Their bodies as close as can be couldn't feel more perfect under the lights. Chris slowly closed his eyes and traced the curve of her back with his finger tips.

"How come we haven't been this close before?" He whispered honestly

Even though he couldn't see it, he knew Doll's cheeks were as red as the blood within her.

"You never get too close." She answered

"I like being this close to you." He admitted surrendering to her

"I like being this close to you too," she squeezed his hand "I've always-"

The speaker thumped with a new sound that disrupted the peaceful melody from before. The crowd cheered at the pick up of pace and changed their dance moves to match the erotic waves of strobe lights.

Chris was honesty disappointed in the music change. He tensed and held onto Doll. She moved away slightly but held his hand and pulled him away from floor. There's was a playful smiled painted on her lips and a promiscuous glint in her eyes. Forgetting everything and everyone, Chris allowed himself to be pulled in and taken to wherever this deadly sin would lead.