Chapter Five

The limo ride to the restaurant was filled with tons, and tons of questions from Mrs. Baez. Giselle was still unsure if she should call her Grandma, but every time she addressed her as Mrs. Baez, Mrs. Baez would remind her to call her Grandma. Giselle would give a crooked smile and obliged, but soon forgot. Mrs. Baez didn't mind, of course. She was too busy bombarding Giselle with questions!

          "When's your birthday?"

          "June 12th."

          "What grade are you going to be in?"

           "The ninth."

          "Do you know where you want to go to school?"

          "Not yet,"

          "How tall are you?"

          "Around 5'4, 5'5."

          "How are you liking California?"

           "Its nice."

          "Do you like dressing up?"

         "Yes."

          "Do you have a boyfriend?"

          "No."

          "Do you want a boyfriend?"

          "No."

          "Ever thought about getting liposuction done?"

          "Uh...no?"

          During the interview, Giselle would sneak quick glances at Chris. Sometimes they're gazes would meet and they would avert their eyes from each other, quickly. Other times Chris wouldn't acknowledged Giselle and she would take notice of his reactions to what transpired around him. When Mrs. Baez would ask her an awkward question, the corner of Chris's mouth would sink a little. When Mrs. Baez would ask more thoughtful questions like how was she liking her new home, Chris would sneak in glances at her. When Alek would snicker or smile at something said, Chris would look exactingly at him. She also noticed he tried, at all cost, to avoid looking at Mr. Baez. Was there some tension between them?

          Right about when Giselle thought she couldn't handle anymore questions, the limo arrived. Everyone exited and Mrs. Baez linked her arms with Giselle and made it clear that they would be sitting next to each other. Giselle nervously kept up with her family and Mr. Baez told the hostess about his reservations and they were seated. The restaurant was a grill place that wasn't too fancy. It made her feel more at ease. They were seated at a square table, and Giselle decided she would rather sit in a booth.

            "Giselle," Mrs. Baez said smiling "This place has the best sauce you will ever taste!"

          Giselle smiled, she was seated next to Mrs. Baez on her right. Across from Mrs. Baez was her husband, Mr. Baez, and on his left was Alek and beside him was Chris. Giselle sat directly facing Alek. Mr. Baez put his elbows on the table, putting his arms up and folding his hands. He cleared his throat.

          "So, Giselle" he said "Do you have any plans for college?"

          Giselle felt her stomach drop out of her body. She hadn't even started high school and she already needed a plan for college?!

          "No," she said rubbing her elbow nervously

          "You should always have a plan before going into something." Mr. Baez continued,