DNO | 3

Chapter 3: Romeo is An Idiot

"You're an idiot, do you know that?" I scolded him, overwhelmed with concern.

Andrew sat on the chair, wincing every now and then when I shifted the ice pack on the bruised area on his leg. It wasn't exactly an ideal ice pack though, more like a bunch of ice cream tied up with a piece of string out of the kindness of the ice cream vendor.

He gave me a goofy grin. "A good kind of idiot, I guess?"

I shook my head, yet a smile was taunting on my lips. "You think?"

So this was how our supposed date ended, with both of us sitting in a partially crowded emergency area at eight o'clock at night, waiting to be seen by a doctor.

I'll be expressing my full gratitude to Andrew's swollen left legs right after this.

"Next time, give me a heads up if you're trying to be Romeo, okay?"

He smiled at me sheepishly. "I didn't know the branches would break off."

I looked at him, deadpanned. "Last time I check, twigs doesn't really have a great relationship with a seventy kilogram male."

"That make sense." He muttered.

It all started when Andrew thought he would be Romeo for a night and climbed up the tree in front of my room, more like a dried trunk with some pitiful leaves. Of course, he stepped on the wrong branches and just when I was about to warn him, the branches have way and I watched in horror as he fell off.

Lesson of the day, guys.

Trying to impress your date, that's cute. Reenacting Romeo and Juliet, hmm, maybe. But getting yourself killed while trying to impress your date as a Romeo, not cool at all.

"I really hope this knock some sense into your brain." I said, knocking at his head.

Walking out of the secondary triage, the medical officer determined that Andrew's condition doesn't required immediate attention. Now all we could do was sit in the green zone and wait.

"Sorry that I've ruined our first date." He smiled at me sheepishly.

I exhaled, giving a shrug. I could feel his eyes on me as I stood up, throwing the melted ice cream packs into the waste bin, replacing it with the ice pack given by the medical officer five minutes ago.

"I'll made it up to you, I promise." He added.

I scrutinized him for a short while before keeping a neutral face while saying, "Real smooth, Andrew."

He had a lost look on his face for a couple seconds. For a smart person like him, it doesn't take him long to understand my words. But when he did, he looked rather embarrassed and stuttered on his word.

"I-I mean...it's not like I'm asking you for a second date...I just...umm..."

I finally let out the laughter I was holding back. "Oh my god, Andrew! You should look at your face."

He pursed his lips immediately, his face reddened just a tiny bit. But a smile was threatening to form on his face. "It's mean to make fun of a sick people."

I poked out my tongue at him. "You're not sick. You're just an idiotic Romeo."

"Maybe you could be my Juliet." He answered, sounding somewhat jokingly. "Like Romeo and Juliet."

My thought paused at his word. Romeo and Juliet? As in, me and him?

"I sure as hell wouldn't like to end up dead." I avoided his eyes, butterfly in my stomach and too, being purposely oblivious to his hint.

Is Andrew Wilson crushing on me?

That thought alone, surprisingly does not affect me as much as it used to me, although there was butterflies and bees and all sort of stuff swarming in me right now. I still remembered back then when we worked together, well, more like when I work for his project, how much I would daydream about him.

But right now, I couldn't be sure.

"Avery." He whispered my name.

"Y-yeah?" My heartbeat increased a little, my eyes caught up in him.

Am I crushing on Andrew Wilson?

He looked at me and I took the rare chance to study his eyes color carefully. They were an oddly unique shade of green color, like a mixture of green and blue but with green being the dominant. Few pieces of his dark hair were stick to his forehead while the rest stay upward. Messy, but in a tidy way.

"I know this is way too fast for you. But I need to tell you something." He started and I held my breath.

Is he going to-

"Don't get to close with Riley."

Okay, I definitely wasn't expecting that.

"What?" I narrowed my eyes at him.

What the hell?

"Did you hit your head too hard?" I placed my palm on his forehead. "Maybe you have a concussion?"

"Avery," He swapped away my hand and held on to it between us as soon as my palm leave his forehead.

Caught by surprise, my reflex failed to kick in. My jaws hung open as I stared at him. Or more on our intertwined hands.

"Don't get too close with Riley." He repeated. "He's...bad news."

I snorted with laughter, pulling my hand away from his grip. "Your statement just freaking won Grammy of the Year, Andrew. And just so you know, I loathe that guy. So you have nothing to worry about."

Why? Why did he have to bring him up again?

My jaws clenched when my mind flashed back to yesterday. That guy had been ignoring my call ever since the incident in the locked storage room and I was just pissing off by myself.

"You hate him?"

He seemed amused as he relaxed against the backrest of the chair. I felt relived that this matter can temporarily take his mind off his leg's pain, although annoyed that he brought up the subject I wanted to avoid discussing.

"More than you can ever imagine." I said through my gritted teeth.

"How so?"

"I just hate him." Truth does sounds like a bad karma, don't they?

He chuckled.

"What's so funny about that?"

He studied my face before telling me, "Nothing. Do you know you look kind of scary when you're on a hatred mode?"

I faked a bow. "I'll take that as a compliment."

He laughed, wincing when that movement triggered pain in his legs. "You're something, Avery."

My heart warmed at his compliment. Probably due to the fact I had been receiving more hates than love lately.

"You should smile more, Ave. You looked really pretty when you smile."

Okay, I'm officially blushing like a red lipstick. Wait, that doesn't even make sense, but...meh!

"Err...thanks?" I laughed a little awkwardly. I was never good at handling cheesy moment like this.

And then he did something I would have never expected to happen to me, ever in my life.

Andrew Wilson fucking kiss me in the lobby of the emergency room.

<DNO>
<Riley-less>
<TeamAndrew?>