DNO | 4

Not my best chapter, but hope you'll enjoy.
Sugar kisses. Xx

"Look at whatcha done, made me fall in love with you." Megan Nicole

Chapter 4: Damn woman!

'You slept with Andrew."

I didn't even have to think twice before my hand shoot out and collided with the person who made that statement and in my defense, a very wrong one.

"What the fuck, woman?" Riley held his abdomen with his right hand, his face scrunched up with an expression that sits between cringe and grimace. "Are you trying to kill me?"

"Uhh..." I pretend to think for a moment, tapping my lower chin with my index finger. "Maybe?" A deliberate smirk was added for effect.

Our brain is such a brilliant organ. Being just the size about our fist, it took less than one second, or specifically zero point three second for it to recognize and send signal upon a stimulus. Kudos to all the neurons that are working twenty-four seven non-stop. It made it so easy for me to punch someone.

"Damn woman." He muttered under his breath, rubbing his abdomen to ease the pain. "What are you, black belt in some sort of martial art?"

I merely shrugged but this caught his attention as his eyes widened. "No way!"

"Took Wudo during middle school. I was one belt away from black belt." I sighed, remembering how I was so close at obtaining a black belt. Had my Master did not fall sick before the Grading, I would have been a Black belter before entering high school. "So close." I sighed again, remember the old time.

He mumbled something incoherent under his breath and I swore I heard the word 'superwoman'.

"Maybe a little warning next time?" I perked up my eyebrow at him, enjoying seeing him in pain.

His eyes instantly increase to the size of a golf ball. "Next time?"

I laughed, shifting the paper in front of me. "Never say never."

"Oh, fuck off." He groaned in reply, more at his own fate. "God damn woman of motherfucking Earth."

That doesn't irritate me, in fact, a ghostly smile hung on my lips.

We were currently at the same old place, trying to figure out the flaw in our project. I stared at a blank piece of paper, twisting the pen in my hand as I tried to think of a new plan. It was Sunday and the park was somewhat packed, with either joggers or family coming for a picnic, enjoying the warm breezes while soaking in the vitamin D-nourished sun ray.

Ten minutes passed and something registered in my mind.

Riley is too quiet.

I took a peak at him from my peripheral view, hoping that my long brown hair was doing a great job at shielding my intention. Taking a few peaks here and there without being too obvious, I watched as his left hand glided across the paper in swift motion and crossing out few phrases in between. The look on his face was intense as his eyebrows kneaded together.

How could someone look so fiery attractive when in deep focus?

"Just so you know, I can feel your eyes on me." He commented without looking up.

My heartbeat accelerated immediately as I quickly snapped my eyes back, trying to act nonchalant as I spoke. "Oh, please. You're not even worth looking at."

That was not true though. In fact, the five seconds I had just spent peeking at him proved that Riley Kraemer was indeed the living definition of handsome, masculine and attractive.

Kind of like Theo James, though.

He let out a laugh and I heard the pen making contact with the table. Now he was looking at me but I dared not turn to face him.

What the heck, Avery Marshall? You were not supposed to find Riley Kraemer attractive or anything else along that line!!

"Really, Avery?" His tone made me turn my head involuntarily towards him and I hated myself so much for that.

Yeah, really, Avery?

"Yes, really." I feel proud being able to answer him without stammering.

His eyes narrowed at me while a smirk formed on his face. "You didn't answer my question."

"W-What question?" His emerald eyes was captivating the whole of me and for a moment, I lose all of my senses.

"Andrew." One word and his face turned flaccid and cold, his green orbs no longer mesmerizing, yet the smirk still remained.

Irritation seeped through me, immediately pulling me out of daze. I shook my head vigorously, hoping for expelled all the thoughts that were clouding my logical sense.

"Why do you care?"

A blushed creeped up my cheek as my mind flashed back to yesterday.

Andrew. Hospital. Yesterday. Date.

The kiss.

"He kissed you, didn't he?"

"Stalker much?" Instead of replying, I remained a neutral composure as I glared at him.

"I was just passing by."

"Yeah, as if I would believe you." I snorted.

"Why won't you answer my question?"

Jeez, why is this guy being so adamant?

"Why do I have to?" I challenged back.

He scoffed. "That idiotic bastard!"

"Excuse me?"

"You heard me. I'm not taking that back."

"Well, then stop interfering with my business."

He slammed the table in frustration without warning, but since the table was made of solid, it didn't produce any noise. I hope his hand hurt from the impact though.

"I'm trying to warn you about that bastard, okay?" He said bitterly, regretting at his action. "He's not who he said he is."

A humorless laugh escaped my lips. "That's funny. Cause he said the same thing about you, sort of."

He didn't answer but glared at me hence I simply returned the favor. To outsider, we probably looked like a pair of childish fool, playing stare down in the middle of a park.

The ringing of my phone quickly caught the attention of Riley as he snapped his eyes to the screen. Before I could even protest, he had picked it up and answered.

"Avery is with me. She can't talk right now."

Without wasting any time, he ended the call and I was just in time to get a glimpse of the end call screen.

The dialer was Andrew.

"What in the fucking world is wrong with you?" I almost shouted at him, but tone down immediately when I was aware of our surroundings.

"I told you, he's nothing like the person you thought he is."

I started packing up my stuff, shoving them into my bags. This project discussion was not proceeding any further and I sure as hell does not want to spend anymore time with an angry beast.

"So you're picking his side?" He continued bitterly when I just blatantly ignored him.

I paused my action. "This is not about picking side, Riley."

"Yes, it is. You're picking him because of what happened between us four years ago." The same bitter tone as he stated.

"You have major anger issue. And I'm leaving now."

His face softened slightly, looking defeated. "Look, Avery. I'm so-"

"Save your stupid apology for someone else." I told him coldly.

Then I took off, leaving him behind.

I never intended to tell him though, that I never kiss Andrew back.

<DNO>
<StillTeamRiley?>