DNO | 1

Chapter 1: Creamer & Ape

"So..."

"So?"

I've been tapping my pen against the paper for the past half an hour. It wasn't a blank paper, but full of scribbles that had been cut off uglily with a huge thick black line, all thanks to Riley Kraemer.

"Are you just going to sit there and wait for me to come up with ideas?"

I glared at him annoyedly. For a split second, he tore his gaze from the phone that had captured his attention all this while, giving me a huge grin.

"Yeah."

One short answer was all it needed to have my blood boiling.

My grip on the pen tightened. As I pressed it unconsciously against the table, it flew out of my hand and went spiraling around the ground.

I let out a breathe, cursing my fate.

Right now, I just want to smack my face to the ground and die. Why did I have to get Riley Kraemer as my partner? I wouldn't even complain if he could at least try to be contributive.

"Your pen, Ave."

I blinked twice, feeling unexpectedly yet surprise when my pen showed up in front of me. Not literally, of course. More like someone pick it up for me.

Don't wish it to be the douche bag in front of me.

"Thanks, err..." I had to crank up my head to look at the person.

I was stunned when I recognized the feature of the person. Although we never shared a class before, his face was imprinted in my mind when we worked together for an event two years ago.

As in, he was the leader and I was, well, a small errant runner. I didn't even bother learning his name. But I was very impressed with his management skill and I might have a little crush on him.

Just a little.

"Andrew." He gave me a smile and I swore my stomach just went galloping on an elephant through a thick forest.

Or maybe not.

"Um, thanks, Andrew." My cheeks heated up for no reason and I quickly looked down at the pen.

The pen. Which he picked up for me.

Oh god, Avery. You're hopeless.

"How's your project going?" He asked casually, taking a look at Riley who was oblivious to his surrounding.

"You know," I gave a shrug. "I'm still alive, haven't punch anyone yet."

He laughed. Like a genuine laugh from the bottom of his heart, unlike Riley's snickering laugh.

"That's good to hear. I sure hope I don't have to bail you out of jail."

"Now I know who to call when I'm in jail." I chuckled.

I waited for him to say more but he took a glance at his watch. "I should probably go now. Had a meeting to attend." He added when I flashed him a question look. "Good luck with your project, Ave."

I gave him a smile. "You too."

I watched him leave with an unexplained tingling sensation inside me, unaware that Riley had placed down his phone.

He called me Ave. Someone actually gave me a nickname!

"Wow, that dude sure does know how to pick up girl! Good luck with your project, Ave." He mimicked. "What is this, the 90's?"