DNO | 5

Yes, two updates in a row, because you guys are amazingly sweet like blueberry pie, leaving me such lovely comments and because I love all of you way too much.
Blueberry and fairies kisses. Xx

Chapter 5: Riley

Avery Marshall was driving me crazy.

It took me one week to figure it out.

Nah, scratch that. The incredulous theory was the little voice in my head, nagging me to do something about it since day one. Fortunately unfortunate, my fish tank-sized ego was blinding me the entire time.

Who am I kidding? I'm the one and only Riley Kraemer. People doesn't worship me for nothing.

I run my hand through my tousled hair as a particular brown-eyed girl flashed through my mind.

Damn you, Avery! Would you just get out of my head already, I groaned in frustration.

She had been on Anti-Riley mode this entire week, avoiding me blatantly. When we were seated next to each other in English class, she pretended I was invisible. When I tried to talk to her in the hallway, she walked right past me. However, my frustration and annoyance were tripled when I saw her hanging out with Andrew almost all the time, giggling at his words.

But what really fueled my anger was when Andrew deliberately threw a smug look at me when he caught me looking at them.

That idiotic bastard! I swear he is up to no good.

"Mom, I'm going out!" I grabbed the key to my silver Audi, yelling to my mom on my way out.

I didn't wait for a reply. Today, I'm going to confront Andrew.

Driving down the familiar road, my heart suddenly ached as I stopped in front of the double gate. My fist tightened on the steering wheel and a pang of regret shot through me.

Maybe I shouldn't have-

The double gate cleaved open at that instant and my doubt went down the drain. As the gate finally open to its maximum, a huge mansion was in view, also revealing a guard standing next to the gate who raised his hand politely at me as an acknowledgement gesture, adding a smile when he realized it was me. I stepped on the fuel pedal, zooming into the mansion while returning the gesture.

Stepping onto the porch, my hand lingered on the knock. Just when I was stalling myself, the door flew open and a woman in her early fifty who was dressed in a casual blouse and pants appeared in front of me.

She must have seen me from the closed-circuit television.

"Riley!" She pulled me into a motherly embrace immediately and for a second, the anger in me almost melted as I remembered Linda Wilson's kindness to me, when me and Andrew-

No, stop there, Riley. You and Andrew are no longer friend.

"I didn't know you were back in U.S." Thankfully, she broke the embrace, interrupting my thought. "Have you just came back?"

"Yeah." I lied smoothly.

Liar! You came back two months ago.

"So, I take that you're here to see Andrew?" If she was suspicious, she didn't show it.

"Is he...um, is he in?" My fist clenched as I controlled the fire of fury in me, suppressing my instinct of barging into his room right away.

Avery was right. I definitely have anger issue.  

"He's in his room." She gave me a look that I couldn't quite grasped about it. But I wasted no time dwelling on her expression as I paced to Andrew's room without needing any further instruction.