Chapter 5

The next day me and my sister got up well before sun rise to prepare thoroughly for the gathering. With many protests from Scarlett, I did her hair (and my own) and found our best armor wear.

Mom got up just when we where about to leave and to my surprise and utter delight, she smiled as the glowing sun projected around her. "You girls look beautiful! I'm assuming you will both be attending the gathering?" She asked. We both nodded in response.

I can't even remember the last instance when she smiled for this long...a miracle break through?

"I hope you both have fun attending (oh, it will be your first!) but I can not join you, unfortunately I have, um, important errands to run. Just remember to find our family, the Waterlynns, I believe the sign will be in section 4." I smiled."Ok, well look for it." With that she kissed us both on top of the head and left the dune, waving to us as she left.

Scarlett seemed to have noticed mom's change in attitude as well, it left an unappeaseful look in her sparkling hazel eyes. She shrugged. "Ok, then...I guess we better get going."

I nodded in agreement and swam over to the side of the dune entrance doing my formal impression. "After you, Miss Scarlett."- Trying my best to annoy her. After all, this could be the only chance I get to see Scarlett in fancy clothing. She scowled, but laughed."I think the day is going to drag on a lot longer than I anticipated." She said over her shoulder.
*
We got to the Bays city hall a little later than we planned, as our next-dune neighbours kept dwindling upon the noise Scarlett makes outside, and how it is 'unladyllike'.
But Scarlett just shrugged it off and pretended she was listening.
The outside of the hall was decorated with huge shells streaming in a lopsided pattern, coral reefs and long sea weeds sufficed as the garland with beautiful woven pearls.

Me and Scarlett said one thing before getting into the entrance lign; wow.

I've always admired the City halls marble stone walls from a distance, but I've never been up close before.

It was an astounding sight for the first time being here. I remember learning about how the town hall used to belong to the humans, but the flood back in 2026 swept it into the ocean (as it did for many of our buildings) lopsided. I can only imagine what it would have looked like intact on land.

We where next in line for the approval of the Guard. He glanced with skeptical eyes on Scarlett and frowned."May I see some coral identification, Miss?" He asked. She quickly rummaged through her pocket and took out her corral, which was missing a chunk on the side, but the Guard accepted it with a nod.

We walked through the entrance and I was immediately overwhelmed at the sight .Golden walls glinted off some sunshine from the entrance way, and every sea plant imaginable was decorating the walls with more garland and some beautiful jewels hanging from the ceiling like ornaments: pearls, saphires, and one aquamarine stone, the only of which Aquarians have ever found, but the search is about to continue, for obvious reasons.

Scarlett stared at me with wide eyes as we made our way down the aisle.

We went to the side of a broken and sideways railing, on the other side there was a large pit with all short podiums for each job represenative. I assume there won't be nearly that many job represenatives. Instead, everyone will be in the stands.

I grabbed Scarlett's hand, who was gazing off at all the sourondings. "Come no, section four is just down there, lets go to our family station before it begins." I coaxed. Scarlett understood. "Oh, fine." She said.

Another reason why I wanted to hurry was so I could see my Grandmother Evelyn, my favorite relative ever. She is one of the best prophecy tellers in the entire bay, and we have always seemed to have a strong bond.