Chapter 20

I scambered away from the large crowd of mermaids like a fish wandering alone, drinking my vial of invisibility potion and swam quickly off to the cavern to meet John.
We had decided to carry out our plan today, while Marina would be walking home from her friends house.
After all, she is quite trustworthy when it comes to her whereabouts.
                                *
John was completely prepared for my arrival at the cave, with the whole team surrounding the ship.
I was about to ask if everything was all set up, when I noticed the nets and contraptions on the dock.
My choice of words changed drastically in 2 seconds-
"John, what on earth are those?! What if they hurt her!" I cried out.
He waved his hands.
"No, don't worry, they're completely safe, I made sure that there was the right formula of nylon covalently bonded onto the string." He said in his weird language of Science.
"John..." I sighed,exasperated and stressed out from every little detail, like picking out the wrong clam in a reef miles long.
"Oh, right, I'm sorry. I meant that they are very soft and flexible, so that they won't hurt anyone. However, I don't plan on using it at all , it's only for a back up plan in case something goes wrong and we need to trap a mermaid or merman. it. I'm anticipating it will go fine." John assured me, looking at me worriedly, probably sensing my stress.
I shook my head quickly.
I was desperate to get this over with and have things be normal, at least, what I think it should be like.
However, I knew this was the right thing to do, so I went into ship and gave John all the information we need Ed.
"She's going to her friends house, right beside that reef you had located. I figured it now is a good time to carry out the plan, as we can hide in the reeds." I explained, gesturing towards everyone in the hollow cave.
John turned towards a freckled scientist and put in coordinates on a bright  screen. 
My eyes still hadn't adjusted to even the technology on the boat, which wasn't even considered to be mediocre to the group of human scientists.

At least I'm starting to understand their systems

John turned to me, and squeezed my hand.
"It its any consolation, your going to save a lot of people by doing this. And your doing a great job."
I tried to smile.
"Technically I'll be saving people and merpeople, Mr. Biologist."
"Well, I suppose you'll have to catch me up on my mermaid terminology once we've found Marina."
I sighed.
" Don't pretend that once we've found her you'll have time to see me. I know that you and her will be gone, and that it will be a long time before I see you both again."
I said, holding back my tears.
"No, we'll make sure Marina gets to-"
John began, intill the ships 'driver' spoke up-
"John, it's almost time that Marina will be leaving, judging from Neline's information. I'm afraid that we may have to set off." He said.
"Yes, that's true." John said, worriedly checking the time.
The team set the gears and did final preparations.
"I think where ready to go." John announced to his team members.

Meanwhile, with my oxygen mask on nestled close to John, I don't think I'd have ever been ready to go, or let go, but I was as ready as I could be.
*
Either the ship had a really fast motor thing of a bob, or that ride felt like 2 seconds.
Either way, it was to fast.
I could spot the city farther up in the distance just a little after the ships technology started beeping, and a man called out-
"We're approaching the perimeter! Start the ships descent!" Suddenly,
the ship's overhead began to fall back,
and surrounded us until we where completely enveloped in it.
"It's transitioning into a submarine." John explained.
The now complete submarine swerved around the reef, and clambered into the long seaweed instead.
Once we where hidden from view, I got ready to swim over to the inside of the city, beside Marian's friends house.

"Make sure no one sees you enter the city." A man called from the back.
"I will." I called back, having gone over this step of the plan several times.

"She'll be fine, she knows her daughter." John said, staring at me knowingly.
I mouthed thank you, and turned to dive out the side of the ship.
I swam swiftly past the house and looked for Marina.
She should have been around the side of the house, or at least on her way towards the house.
Had the coordinates been wrong? I didn't doubt John and his team, but something was wrong.
The deserted abyss of deep blue water clarified that.
I swam up to the coral home, ft answers.
When I knocked, a faire blonde woman answered, with a worrisome glance when she saw my expression.
I asked her if she knew around what time of the day Marina had left her home.
She answered with a confused gaze.
"Coralline never mentioned she had a friend over, in fact I don't think she was here at all." She answered, then called her lanky daughter, her face full of freckles, and asked her if she knew where Marina was.
"I saw her earlier today somewhere by the search party release. She seemed to be in a hurry, so I didn't think I should bother her." She replied wearily.
I nodded my head.
"Ok, thank you, it's fine I think I know where she might be."
It wasn't, and I had absolutely no clue where she could have gone, or why she would lie to me, as it's not like her at all.
"Oh, well..ok, I hope you find her!" The mother called after her.
I swam off around the house and clambered through a reef to gather my thoughts, overwhelmed by this news.

She lied...of all possible times she lied today, she lied on the day that had been planed out for a-drops, and now... How can I tell a team of innovative surviving Scientists that they crossed the ocean and risked being caught for a failed mission?