Chapter 22

After explaining the situation to the group of researchers, some freaked right out of their minds, (particularly the younger men, not that it matters) and some where equally shocked but held back their doubt.
John himself was quite shocked, as is a normal reaction to Marina's endeavours.
"Do you have any idea where she may have gone, or what this is about?" He asked concernedly.
I gathered all existing information of Marina from today-which was undoubtedly limited.
She had left the house early,she told me to see her friend, Aqualine, the tall freckled girl.
I assumed they where going to the search party release together, but Aqualine had only seen Marina later on, looking distraught, close to the search party release.
The only logical thing I could come up with was that she was at the medical court with Scarlett, as it is close by their.
She must have been  distraught because of her condition, though it had improved...I think.
Why she lied to see her, still doesn't make sense, but it's a start.
Once I had explained all this to John, he immediately suggested I go ask Scarlett if she was there, or if she knew anything of her whereabouts, a good idea, as it isn't suspicious if I'm wondering where she is.
"That seems like s good plan,
but what will we do in the situation that we are spotted by Aquarians during all of this while we wait." The ships driver spoke up.
"We'd have to flee if anyone pops up on the radar, so I suppose you should come back at a specific time, Neline, so we know it's you." John said.
"Um, how about midday, when the sun is halfway in the sky?" I suggested.
"You mean halfway in rotation, 180 degrees?" John asked, genuinely concerned.
"Yes, whatever." I replied.
"If your not back by then, we'll have to signal the coordinates and meat you back at the cave or ship landing area." Patricia, in charge of the source detector- thing said.

With that, I was off again, this time with more perseverance, in search of my once innocuously trustworthy daughter.
*
Scarlett had been curled up, her green eyes staring blankly at the wall, as I rushed in to the bland Medicinal room.

I tried not to look overly worried as I her gaze saw me enter.
"Mom, aren't you supposed to be at work?" She asked confusedly.
"I-I well, got an unexpected brake in my shift." I told her, trying to show her my stern side and still hold my anxiety in a tight black hole.
She just nodded her head.
"Listen very closely , Scarlett, as I have an important question to ask you."
She looked up, still confused.
"I just want to know if you have seen Marina today, or if you know where she may be, as I can't seem to find her at the moment." I told her carefully.

"Oh, well she did come to see early this morning and she seemed, well not like her self." She said, her curiosity seeping through.
"How wasn't she herself, Scarlett, I need you to be specific!" I said, becoming increasingly impatient.

"Well, OK, she acted as if I she had to say goodbye, she told me she loved me, and said, well something like she had to follow her path, or her destination, no- that wasn't it-"
"Destiny?" I tried.
"Yes, follow her destiny, and I kept thinking about- I don't know, it seems stupid."
"There is no harm in telling me, Scarlett." I told her.
"For some reason it made me think about all the times she spent alone with Grandmother. It seemed...suspicious, and she always told me it wasn't my business when I asked her about it."
She sighed.
"It probably doesn't have anything to do with this, but-"
"No, it does." I said, suddenly assured.

My mother, she is none for this. Suddenly deciding everyone's path for them by fortune telling. To me it seemed absurd, I didn't always believe in its accuracy.
Not until she predicted I'd meet John, not until I realized she had been right.

Is it possible that she's right again, that she predicted me and Johns plan and had to get her away?
No, she wouldn't spend so many days just telling her to get away from us today.
Follow your destiny, follow your destiny...
Marina had used those exact words to Scarlett, the exact words that John had told me she must do today, 16 years ago.
And my mother had said those words to Scarlett.
That was it- my mother had seen Johns plan, then that means she knows who Scarlett really is-
"Mom? What are you thinking about?" Scarlett asked, snapping me out of my thoughts.
"I was thinking your right, I have to talk to Grandmother about this."
Have to face her, after all this time I spend trying to avoid her.
"Thank you Scarlett, I have to go." I said.
"Will you find her?" Scarlett asked suddenly, her green eyes blazing into mine.
I turned to her-
"I hope so, Scarlett, I hope so fucking much."
*
I arrived at the ancient corral home when the sun was nearing the middle of the sky, I'd have to make this quick, even though I was terrified to see her again.
I had always been uncomfortable around her, ever since she had predicted me meeting John.

I was afraid that she would predict something troublesome, and tell me.

But it's time to put petty thoughts aside, and find out where Marina is before its to late.
I did the passcode to enter, one I vaguely remembered.
I entered the house, which looked almost the same as when I had lived there, except it had more plants.
Thankfully, she didn't have any 'clients' at the moment.
I swam into the entranceway, and didn't hesitate.
"Mother, where are you, it's Neline and I have to speak to you at once!" I called out urgently.
She rounded the corner, and looked as if she hadn't aged at all since I had last seen her. The same green- blue eyes I had inherited, the silver hair and the wrinkles, though they hadn't changed at all.
"My daughter, how are you? I haven't seen you in so long." She said, staring at me admiringly.
Can't she see how important this is?
"I am in a hurry, and I need urgent answers on Marina and what's been going on." I said quickly, watching her expression turn more solemn.
"You know about Johns plan, don't you? You must have seen it." I said.
She stayed quiet, but looked at me knowingly.
I feel to accusing, like I'm just pointing out bad things and am not worth her telling me the truth about her and Marina.
"I just want to know what you told Marina, and if she's on board with her true destiny, or if you sent her away to try to get her away from me and John."
I said.
"No, it is in her nature to want to, well, discover, or fulfil your and Johns plan, I simply had to push her into discovering and claiming this destiny, as John had told us."
The way she said 'us' sounded as if she thought it was natural to hear others conversation randomly float into your subconscious, as if we where hearing it together, it just seems so...weird.
"But how did you push her towards her destiny if we can not carry out the plan?" I asked.
"I didn't know how you and John would carry it out, I just saw her find her destiny, and I had to help her get there without, well, being stopped."
She said.
"What are you talking about? Where? Where is she? What have you been telling her?"
I asked, sick of the riddles.
"She only knows about her saving the endangered species, and I think you know where she would have to go to do that. I've told you so many times; she's going to claim her destiny."
Claim her destiny, well then she would have to carry out me and Johns plan.
Unless....
"Did she...?" I began, barely able to believe she did what I assumed she must have.
My mother nodded, knowing what I was thinking.
"The hidden gems the humans made are beside Johns landing, I can feel his ship heading towards there right now. You must go with him, go find your daughter."
I thanked her quickly and headed out as fast as I could.
I rushed towards the closest reef, and saw that the sun was already past the middle of the sky.
I pulled out a bottle of invisibility serum and and hastily chugged some before I swam as quickly as I could, though the familiar caverns to get to the cavern where I usually meet John.

Instead, I'm searching for my daughter one last time, and maybe she will claim her path, maybe my mother is right.
I love her, but I know she is destined for greater things.

Looks like John and Marina's mothers plan is coming to a close.
What do you think will happen, will Marina and the research team find the Aquamarine stones, or will they run into Johns ship or Marina's mother first?